Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A Toledo Bend Quickie

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Toledo Bend Quickie

Sorry I haven’t kept up on the pics lately, but I will post some of the most recent ones with this update.
    Mike Shankle of Shreveport got off work today at noon and headed to Toledo Bend for a quickie Crappie trip. We left the lodge at around 1:30 and headed for the shallow timber Toledo is known for. Mike explained that the extent of his crappie fishing was with cork and shiner. I told him he was going to turn to a new page in his fishing book today. We had a quick lesson on tackle and technique and mike turned out to be a fast learner. After a few pitches and getting the feel of a falling 1/16 ounce jig he was set to go. After a couple of false set into the wooden structure he learned he could finesse the jig over and through the wood to get to the meat. And get to the meat he did. Before I could say “let me cast” he was setting the hook on some of Toledo Bends finest. We hit a couple of stretches of shallow submerged stumps and lay downs and we were both grinning ear to ear. He hit the road back to Shreveport at about 5:30 with a nice catch of 42 specks and bars. Some of the bigger fish hit the 2-pound mark. The catch is pictured in a 160-quart igloo. Mike said that wouldn’t be the last “Quickie” he gets.
    The lake is back to its normal population of boats fishing for crappie now that the crowds aren’t catching limits tied to a stump on the edge of the river channel. The fish are still here and biting real good; it is just a little harder for some to get on the numbers now. Minnows are producing lots of smaller fish in deep water. If your looking for heavy weights though you better be looking shallow.
    Mark
    Mike and a couple of gooduns

Mike and the catch

Mikes 160 quart igloo and 42 crappie

Jigster and his dad

Jamey and Miles

Jamey Cole with 2 of many big crappie

Mike Bordovsky and a bonus kitty

Good catch of crappie for Mike B

Hope y'all like em
    Robinson's Lodge
    Toledo Bend
    accommodations and guide service
    936-368-2211
    Toledobendlodge.com
    Keep what you need, Release the rest, Protect the resource.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Toledo Bend would be a good vacation destination as well
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    Looks like Toledo Bend would be a good vacation destination as well
    CK, were you refering to my post. If so, I know i've got got a lot of choices, I did'nt think this was going to be easy, hehe.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like both of y'all need to escape the cold winter, to the crappie state of texas. The weather is just right for relaxing days on the lake. It's been in the 70's everyday. come on down i'll point you in the right direction.
    Mark
    Robinson's Lodge
    Toledo Bend
    accommodations and guide service
    936-368-2211
    Toledobendlodge.com
    Keep what you need, Release the rest, Protect the resource.