Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rigging a BnM Black Widow

ke4kld Guest

Default Rigging a BnM Black Widow

Howdy,
    How's about helping a newbie with rigging a new 10' Black Widow I got for Christmas? What I have done so far is rig it cane pole style with 25' of #10 w/ a #4 clear leader. Using cigar floats w/ tube jigs and fishing brush piles off of 25-40 ' creek channels. Have tried various colors and depths. No luck so far. I am new to this type of fishing and could use some tips. Oh yeah, I am fishing out of a Wilderness Systems Manteo kayak and basically am drifting with the wind on Lake Gaston, NC. I know the brush piles are holding fish, I can see them on the depth finder on my pontoon boat.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, in my opinion, a 10-footer's too short...when you get your next one, make it at least 13 foot...better action...secondly,what I did to customize mine was to glue the large eyes from several trailer hooks that I snipped off to the sectional joints...they act as guides for the line...thirdly, I attached an el cheapo reel with about 150 yards of 6-lb test line below the line clips...rigged as you said, you'll have a pole that can be fished at any depth...spray paint the tip blaze orange for seeing those "litebites"..or use blaze orange duct tape like hunters use.....hope this helps...good luck to ya....

Bushrod

ke4kld Guest

Bushrod,
    Thanks for the reply. If I buy a rod for myself I will go for the longer ones. Gonna try again this weekend but weather doesn't look too good. I hope to get a second hand depth finder mounted on the kayak, my buddy got a new one for Christmas and gave me his old Garmin 120. Some interesting mounts on kayakfishing.com

Thanks,
    ke4kld

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i put old rod eyelets on my poles . and change the tip to a rod type eyelet . i wrap the eyelet with a thread and cote them with expoxie . the old broken rods eyelets work great
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Rig the rod any way that is comfortable for you to use as an effective tool. Now, you said you were fishing deeper water in creek channels and that you have seen fish holding on them. That sounds perfect. But instead of drifting, buy or make yourself a bouy marker and when you know you're in the top, mark it with the bouy and stay on or in the brush working every part of the top up and down and all around. Go very slow in cold water. If you don't start loading the boat, move to the next brushpile.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]