Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floaters

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floaters

I have been using floats or corks with the weights built in them for jigs, or minnows. Should I use a weighted or nonweithed float or cork?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation ezgo ...

Quote Originally Posted by ezgo View Post
    I have been using floats or corks with the weights built in them for jigs, or minnows. Should I use a weighted or nonweithed float or cork?
    ... for me, personally ... I use unweighted floats. There's a bit of a trade-off, using the weighted floats ... more distance, but little to no chance of seeing a lift bite (since the float is going to continue to float upright, due to the weight) ... while others trade distance for the ability to see a lift bite, by using nonweighted floats. Alot depends on how much distance is needed on a cast, and how much of a chance there is that a fish will "lift bite" your bait.

In reality, if one were to constantly be using or needing to use a float ... it's probably a good idea to have several choices in your tacklebox

Even though I don't often use a float/bobber of any kind ... I carry about a dozen :p -- plain clip-on's - slip floats of several styles - clip-on's with rattles - spring holder style. I generally prefer slip floats, because they cast farther/easier than clip-on & spring holder styles & they're more accurate to cast with, if you're casting to a spot with limited entry access.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CP I forgot to add about throwing the jig mainly with the float, I was wondering if I spook to many fish with a weighted float on a jig.

Post Thanks / Like

Unweighted slip cork all the way here. The smaller you use the better.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, I guess it really boils down to what you like the best. I have always used unwieghted floats, the only time I will use a weighted one is when I'm tossing a tiny jig for bedding bluegill
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Quill floats !

In my opinion natural Quill float are very good on detecting The bite on the up hit ,my granddad showed me how to rig them, with a light jig 1/32 or minnow where the float will lay on its side on the up hit when the Quill lays over flat on surface of the water set that hook boy!!!!! LOVE AND MISS THEM DAYS ALOT:D Not many people use them anymore,but at the right time and place they are killers....lol
    Take you grankids fishing ...you will not be bored !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

un weighted slip float, no question about it if you have your split shot set right you can tell if the crappie grabbed it and swam up with it. something that happens quite a bit
    When in doubt, set the hook.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default floats

I would try an use a non weighted. Do you get many weird bites where they dont take it down real well? If you can just get away with a jighead you should see alot more lift bites.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Use as light a float as you can get away with. The weight of the float including the weight of the jigs and any additional weight etc should make about 1/2 the float be below the water line. That way you can see lift bites as well as make it easy for the float to be pulled under water. I use waggler or slip float depending on conditions.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Betts foam oval weighted floats, the smaller the jig the smaller the float. With the really small jigs they also make a pear shaped weighted that works really good too.

But, I always have a seletion of different floats in case conditions change.

Fatman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast