Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spider rig set up info

Post Thanks / Like

Question Spider rig set up info

I have been spider rigging a couple times and I really like it. My bass boat is too narrow in front and too pointy to be of use, so I am putting a trolling motor on my duck hunting boat (Minn Kota Maxxum 65#) and will be setting it up for spider rigging.

I am hoping that I can get enough input here that I will be able to do it right the first time and not have to go back and redo anything. Any input that any of you can offer is greatly appreciated.

The boat is 19x5, and a true jon ( not modified v). The brand is Fisher Beavertail

The featured boat on the top of this page is actually my boat.

I am posting these links so that you can see what I have to work with.

As you can see, there is not front casting deck ( what you want for a duck hunting boat). What you can't see is that there is a good sized low deck that sits about 4" above the rest of the floor. It is about 3 1/2' long and the full width of the boat.

The small "decklette" on the front is only big enough for a good sized dog to sit, and is sloped toward the front so the water will drain when the dog gets in. I hope that it will be big enough to mount rod holders and a good sonar unit.

What I am trying to figure out is exactly where to mount the rod holders, what brand to buy, what length and brand of poles (reels, rods and all) to buy.

Also, where and how to mount the seats. Should I build a raised deck that lifts in and out for duck season? How hig do the seats need to be in relation to the rods, etc.

I mean I looks to me like you need to sit a little higher that the rids in order to see your bites, but how high?

Any suggestions or input of any kinds wil be very much appreciated and will receive full consideration.

Thnx in advance for your help.

I am posting these links so that you can see what I have to work with.
    si non ire, nescies--Tim

Post Thanks / Like

bump
    si non ire, nescies--Tim

Post Thanks / Like

If you already have the trolling motor mounted take some pics of the fron of your boat. I can then help you with placing some rod holders. The best shot would be standing up in the back of the boat while taking a picture of the front deck.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Will do. There really isn't much of a front deck. that is one of my big issues, I think I will have to build a lift out deck for it.
    si non ire, nescies--Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not, we will see what we can do.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think building a higher deck is the answer. If you look at some of the newer "crappie" boats they all have lower decks than bass fishing rigs. Are you wanting to fish two people up front or just yourself? I think you can get away with mounting extended or adjustable hydraulic pin pedestals on a regular seat and go with a custom length set of rod holders from Callshy.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if the deck is deep enough to install a pedestal socket. It is only about 4" tall at the back end and the distance between it and the boat bottom decreases as you get toward the front. It is prolly only about 2 1/2" at the point where you would want to mount the pedestal.

I intend to set it up to fish 2 side by side.
    si non ire, nescies--Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Post

I'm excited to see the pics and info from you guys on this. I am about to do the very same thing for my dad's jon boat so he can do some sp rigging this summer. I've been wondering about a lot of the same things asked in this thread. The only thing I want to be sure of is that the fishing is comfortable and that my dad can reach everything from his chair without much bending but that everything is far enough away or high enough that it doesn't get in the way of knees and other equipment.
    no matter what I'm doing, I've got hunting or fishing on my mind...

Post Thanks / Like

Driftmaster all the way! If you need any help with Driftmaster PM me your ph# and I will call you.

B'n'M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    Vicious Pro Team

Post Thanks / Like

Go with Callshy's Hitechs...you will not be sorry

Get The Net

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast