Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: San Carlos 4-18

Post Thanks / Like

Default San Carlos 4-18

My first time at San Carlos and we had a blast! The fishing was a little slow but it seemed that way for everyone we talked to. Since my buddy and I haven't ever been there and he hasn't fished for crappie before and I had only done so about 4 times with limited success, I felt like we did pretty well.

We launched at Soda Canyon at about 7am and the water was around 68. We headed over towards the dam through some serious green muck on the surface with carp jumping all around in it. Saw some huge schools of carp out there BTW. Must be spawning time for them or something. They were getting freaky all over. Anyways, we started heading the opposite direction and saw a dead, bloated pig in the water in a cove. Later we saw a dead cow in a different spot. We headed further up the lake and started fishing some coves. In the afternoon the water temp was 78. We were picking fish up here and there. Never go onto any serious schools or anything but we had a great time. Seemed like everyone I talked to was doing the same. Never saw the floatilla but I talked to a guy that was in it for a while and he said it was the same for them. Anyway, between my bud and myself we landed about 7 LMB (nothing huge), probably 9 catfish (again nothing huge), and 17 crappie. We kept 15 crappie with most being 11 inches and my biggest being 13.5. His biggest was bigger than that but I didn't measure it so I'd say 15 inches on his. We stayed until dark and tried a little fishing with the lights out and managed to pick up a couple that way too. I had a real nice one come off at the boat and what I assume was a big cat broke my line but we could just keep thinking it was a monster crappie Had some fun with some bats. I think we were a little too close to their home so they dive bombed us a few times
    All in all it was a great day at a cool lake. Man that lake is big! I couldn't remember who said they were going out there and didn't feel like asking everyone I talked to if they were on the zone. Delw, we need some stikers or something man. I'll put one on my boat
    Here'e the pics from my phone. I'll post more later from my buddy's camera.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here are a couple more pics. My wife told me that my post was a little "long winded" and my pics were too big so here are smaller pictures and future posts will be lessm uhmmm informative :o

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pics...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZfisherdude View Post
    OK, here are a couple more pics. My wife told me that my post was a little "long winded" and my pics were too big so here are smaller pictures and future posts will be lessm uhmmm informative :o
    The secret to a long and happy marriage is to 1) listen to what you wife has to say, 2) respond "yes dear" and 3) turn around and go do what the heck you want. i.e. informative posts!
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, LOL part of success is knowing when to do that and when not to. In this case, I asked her opinion I get a little excited about fishing and tend to ramble a bit. This was my first successful crappie fishing trip so you can imagine how elated I was when posting :D
    Thanks for the comments guys. Hopefully next time I will have a picture that holds more fish too!

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There ya go Chris,in a month or so you'll triple up on them slabs there.And at night it will get tiring pulling them out.In a good way.Great pictures and looks like you have the beginning on your favorite crappie lake now.remember the dam,right in the center where the cement rocket comes out of the water,right in front of it is the best spot for night time fishing with minnows.Just tie your boat to that cable and wait for the shad to come.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bruce, you have given me some good advice. It is a very cool lake and I will definitely be going back this summer!

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that crawdads would be the crap up there right about now.Take a look at this one that I tied today,I was thinking of that place,lol.I think in the front of that cove to the East of the dam would be a hot spot for any fish that can eat and not break a size 10 hook,lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Garden Hackler"lol