Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picture Tournament Opinions Pros/Cons

Post Thanks / Like

Default Picture Tournament Opinions Pros/Cons

We are wanting all members opinions on the up coming contest "Show Me 2010".We believe it is a Win/Win for everyone.All entrants receive a new light that becomes their fishing setup, with no extra light floating around to be tangled up on,for $5 shipped to them and take some pictures of your catches during this Summer with a shot at some serious cash.Some people ask the question of "I feel that it will be too easy to break off the light and then I have lost the money spent on the light".If you follow the instructions we recommend and use a lighter test line for the leader and the light is on the main line of heavier test line then the odds of losing the light is nearly 0.Give your opinions on this contest and we can consider something similar next year as well.

Post Thanks / Like

C'mon guys, you all have to have some opinions? Crappiman is trying to give away some great prizes and just want to know what you think.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I understand how the contest works.

IF I understand the contest correctly.
    We buy the "light" for $5, then use it to fish at night. take pictures of our catch and submit them?

Is that how the contest works?
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    Not sure I understand how the contest works.

IF I understand the contest correctly.
    We buy the "light" for $5, then use it to fish at night. take pictures of our catch and submit them?

Is that how the contest works?
    I could not have said it better myself.
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

I did that several years ago and I don't recommend it. You have to pick a winner and have some proof showing date and then you have to either go by weight or length. It's not going to be a 100% thing where everyone sees the winner as the same one. Lots of members here will probably remember that.

I would have done it every year, but didn't like how the ending was. I had to pick a winner and sometimes it's very hard to tell. Also what qualifies a scale or the measuring device and have them been tampered with.

To be accurate with a photo contest for fish size then it can be harder than one may think to start with.

So that is my 2 cents or opinion and that is all it is,

Skip
    Oh forgot to say if this (what I mentioned above) is not what your doing then I am not sure what it may be?

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...00-prizes.html

That's a link to the thread with the rules.

And I don't think it's a big fish contest. I think it's just a "good picture" contest, like I do. I agree with Skip, to do a big fish contest via the web is near impossible. Even doing polls online does not work, I've had pseudo cheaters while doing those type contests too.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

How someone wins is pretty vague. How will the winners be chosen and who does the choosing? Usually contests get a lot of attention here. For some reason people aren't responding to this one. People need more definite rules if you want participation. Right now its just get a light, go fishin, send in a pile of pics and in a couple months we will give away a bunch of money.

I'm going to be blunt here and say what I think most people are thinking, but don't want to say. The light seems gimmicky, and the contest seems poorly thought out except for the prizes, which makes it seem a little scammish. These kind of products come along once in a while and no one uses them, and then they go away. As a group, your not going to find more dedicated and expert crappie anglers anywhere in the world. We know what works. I for one don't want to go fishing with heavy line with a light attached to it for a couple months, and I'll bet the vast majority of people here are of like opinion.

I don't mean to offend, maybe I just don't understand, but from the get go something about this just didn't feel right. Frankly, I'd have ignored the whole thing if Slab hadn't spoken up and asked for opinions. Also, while the vast majority here are probably honest, there are still gonna some who are cheaters, and it's going to to be way to easy to cheat even how you have it set up. Someone can take any fish and hook it on your rig and take a pic. If everything is on the up and up, and you want people to respond, then you need to have a better planned, simple event with clear goals. If it is simply a sales gimmick, people won't want to do it, and if it's easy to cheat, some people will cheat.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 04-22-2010 at 02:07 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Grizz. To me this sounds like a scam to sell the lights.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Not a "scam" ....

... this is a "contest" ... a marketing promotional, if you will, put on by one of the site sponsors. It would be considered a "scam", only if no one got any of the prize money.

It's pretty transparent ... you pay $5 to enter/purchase the product - take up to 4pics, showing the product & results - send in your entry - winners are chosen by independant judges, not affiliated with the promoting business or this site - rights for use of the pics (for promotional purposes, I would assume) is given by the contestant, by entering - prize money is sent to winning members in the form of a money order.

Now, consider this - buy the product from the website @ $9-10 apiece ... or get one, at half price, by entering the contest (plus the chance at winning $$$).
    You don't want one, don't enter/purchase. :p Simple as that

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Sales gimmic, maybe?
    gorrilla marketing probable.
    unique/creative marketing, yes.

However they are a sponsor and they are offering some great cash prizes.
    Sure the determination of who wins is vague. However it appears the main point of the contest is to gather great pics of the product with various species of fish. Then use those pictures as promotional material to sell more product. Who knows, I may have my catch published in a national magazine. Wouldnt that be cool?

Price of admission is $5. No doubt about what it will cost to mail you the light. your getting the light for free, plus they are getting real world feedback on thier product. Incentive for you to test out the light is cash awards. I see it as a win/win. If I dont like the light, Im out $5. I spend more on a 6 pack of microbrew to see if I like it. I have a several tackle boxes full of lures that dont work. Somewhere in the basement is a Banjo Minnow kit too.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-22-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast