Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closing of OKC Fish Hatchery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Closing of OKC Fish Hatchery

In a meeting yesterday it became apparent that Wendell Wisenhunt, director of Parks and Recreation, will reccommend to the OKC City Council in 2 weeks to close the fish hatchery. This is part of a 12% across the board cost cutting measure by the City due to a drop in sales taxes revenues. The OKC Game and Fish Commission voted unanimously to oppose the closing. It did not seem to matter to Wendell he just sat there and arrogantly texted on his phone during a good portion of the meeting.

The ODWC has 2 fish hatcheries that are undergoing renovations this year and if the H.B. Parsonds Hatchery closes then ODWC does not have the capability to raise and supply the OKC area lakes with fish. This includes Lakes Hefner,Overholser,Draper and all the close to home fisheries lakes. ODWC needs the OKC hatchery to remain open otherwise the metroplex fisheries will deteriorate. The fishing clinics put on by Bob Martin for the children will all but stop depriving the innercity children the opportunity to learn to fish. The economic impact to Academy,Bass Pro, Lucky Lure Co and other retailers will be felt and in some cases severly.

Rest assured that if the hatchery is closed it WILL NOT reopen when the sales revenues rebound.

City of OKC has been advised by ODWC that they cannot and will not supply fish to area lakes. I am repeating myself intentionally to emphasize the seriousness of the situation. If the hatchery closes the fishing will deteriorate in area lakes quickly starting with the close to home fishery lakes. These specific lakes have so much fishing pressure that they will be fished out or fished down in a season.

ODWC is paying the electric bill for OKC for the aeration system in Dolese Park and the system will be turned off in the event that the Hatchery closes.

There are additional issues at stake here in addition that I will not go into due to time.

If you fish the area lakes at all, even just once or twice a year, and you want to keep enjoying outstanding fishing then you must call your councilman and tell him NOT to close the hatchery. Some of you may not fully realize how blessed we are to have the quality of fishing we do in the City lakes. My eyes were really opened yesterday in the OKC Fish & Game Commission meeting as to what we have compared to Cities around the country. WE ARE BLESSED AND IF YOU DO NOT THINK SO THEN DONT CALL YOUR COUNCILMAN, LET THE HATCHERY CLOSE, WATCH THE FISHERY DECLINE AND DON'T COMPLAIN. If I have p***%d someone off by coming on too strong I am sorry but I will not apologize. I believe this strongly on this issue.

Call your councilman and tell him to not close the hatchery. You have 2 weeks before the next council meeting when the reccomendation will be made to close the hatchery. The future of quality fishing lies in the hatchery remaining open. The fate of many many people lies in the tip of your finger. Please punch the numbers and call your councilman today or pay the price.

There will be an article(s) in the Sunday Oklahoman in the coming 2 weeks about this.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean to pick a fight and I understand your point of view completely. It sounds like the hatchery is a needed asset in the area, but I'm just wondering why the city should supply fish to the ODWC. Isn't that the job of the ODWC? It sounds like the ODWC has a couple of hatcheries to supply the fish but they are under renovations right now. Is that correct? Times are tough for every city now and, its tragic, but something has to give. Can corporate/private donations not be secured to temporarily fund the hatchery until the ODWC is finished with their renovations?

Here in Tulsa the city has cut numerous programs that no one can deny are very beneficial. Programs such as Rec Centers and Summer Pools are being shut down due to lack of funding. Desperate times call for desperate measures. We are laying off Fire Fighters and Police Officers. I can see how recreational fishing opportunity would be put on the short list for cuts.

I am absolutely not trying to argue that the hatchery program isn't important. I'm just saying, times are very, very tough right now as I'm sure everyone knows.

Maybe some of the suburbs down there could pitch in some funding since they obviously benefit from the hatchery.

I ask these questions out of ignorance and with the utmost respect to you George. Your knowledge as well as your contribution to the outdoors and the state go without saying and are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by meatdragger; 04-20-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll make the call. Let them know that I'd rather fish than go to a Thunder game. Maybe there's one or two other Okies that feel the same way...
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Meatdragger- I know you are not trying to pick a fight. Allow me to clarify a point or two. The fish come FROM ODWC to the H.B. Parsons Hatchery FREE OF CHARGE. The 4 ODWC hatcheries when operating at capacity still cannot raise the fry to fingerling stage for OKC without the Hatchery. The hatchery receives the fry and grows the fish out and then stocks them. If we lose the hatchery then the walleye, hybrid and smallmouth fishery will start to decline because they must be stocked annually. There is no smallmouth reproduction to date that can be documented.

H B Parsons Hatchery operates a complete fisheries program directed by a professional fisheries biologist that includes mgmt stocking, habitat improvement, fish population sampling, aquatic education programs, and angler outreach programs. 8,000 surface acres of fishable waters are managed by 1 full time biologist, 1-2 part time employess plus many volunteers at a nominal cost to OKC taxpayers. This program also generates fishing and boating revenues that exceeds the budgetary cost. All of this combined the program still turns a PROFIT for the City of OKC.

A ODWC regional fisheries supervisor said in the special meeting that ODWC could not continue all the programs conducted by the City The City anglers will receive alot less. Fishing quality will decline accordingly.

City anglers are truly blessed. They must exercise their right of free speech and tell their respective councilman or councilwomen.

I asked Wendell Wisenhunt point blank in open meeting if the bikers and joggers currently pay a fee to use the facilities. He said no they don't. I asked why not and he could not answer me. A boating and fishing fee increase is being proposed soon. This,in my opinion, is further discrimination.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Councilman wards and #'s

Ward 1 Gary Marrs 297-2404
    Ward 2 Sam Bowman 297-2402
    Ward 3 Larry McAtee,Jr. 297-2404
    Ward 4 Pete White 297-2402
    Ward 5 Brian Walters 297-2569
    Ward 6 Meg Salyer 297-2402
    Ward 7 Ronald "Skip" Kelly 297-2569
    Ward 8 Patrick Ryan 297-2404
    City Council Office 297-8884
    City Manager 297-2345

Mayor Mick Cornett 297-2424

Post Thanks / Like

Well if the program turns a profit then whats the point of closing it? Is the guy just a jerk?

Post Thanks / Like

The income from boating and fishing permits was $243,415.00. The program budget is $160.000.00

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks George for the update on this issue.

I fish Hefner all the time and would hate to see them close the hatchery when I'm paying the fishing permit every year for the past 12yrs.

But if they decide to close the hatchery, I will not continue to pay money for the fishing permit and go to another lake, since the permit money is not going to the hatchery program. I hate to say this, but every time me and my dad go to Hefner, all I see is jogger and bikers and they need to pay the fees to use the facilities.

I will make the call to the coucilman.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Updates

There will be more updates/info to post probably tonight after I get time to digest the info.

Post Thanks / Like

I have relatives in the OKC area. I'll make some calls.

It is a shame that it is being targeted. Maybe with enough pressure they will look elsewhere.

Thanks for the heads up George, I'm sure it isn't the first battle to be fought in these tough times. Many of them don't understand that fishing CAN be a cheap form of entertainment.
    Last edited by aserioushunter; 04-20-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast