Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need some reel advice

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some reel advice

I normally use spinning reels for crappie and redears, both ultralight and light action. I'm looking to get a new outfit to use mostly for redears and bluegills. A buddy of mine has been using an 8 foot rod with a Zebco Omega Z02 spincast reel due to the slow speed line retrieve. I'm looking for a similar set-up but prefer either an underspin or spinning reel with low speed ratio. I've been looking at Pfluegar's Cetina underspins but some of the product reviews have been really bad on these. I was at Bass Pro Shop in St.Charles,MO today and one of the reel counter guys said he has not been hearing bad reviews on it. I'm wondering if anybody has any input on underspin reels or a low ratio spinning reel they have used. Thanks!
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have two underspins, one is a pflueger and the other is a shakespeare, they are both the smaller series. They were like $25 and $15. I can tell the difference between them and my more expensive reels, but do they work? Yes. Am I happy with them for the price? Yes. I have had no problems with them and caught numerous fish with them. If at a certain point down the line I have to replace them, I wont really be too upset, because I figure I will have got my moneys worth out of them. They work for what I needed them for, and they may not be the right fit for some people, but for me I have no complaints.

Post Thanks / Like

There were a bunch in the Bass Pro Catalouge, the only one I've ever owned was when I was a kid and it was a Zebco.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

I have two underspin reels and not happy with them. They are just sitting on the shelf.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a reel that you feel comfortable with. Weather open face or closed.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably going to research some low-speed retrieve spinning reels. Not getting a good feeling about the underspins even though I had a Diawa mini underspin years ago that was great for trout and bluegills. I loaned it to somebody and never got it back.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff