Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: gas in carb

Post Thanks / Like

Default gas in carb

hey guys whats a good rule of thumb about leaving gas in the carb during winter or any time for that matter
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i neverrun it out was told by a evinrude dealer long ago . that you never run it all out and the little left will drie up quicker . just pump it full every nown anthen . i don`t let mine stand that long . i fish in the winter to . when you run it till it quits the top carb runs out first and while it is running the bottom out the top is running dry . think that is why the top piston gaulds befor the bottom .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

As a child my dad always ran the gas out of his boats so when I got mine I did the same. Well after the $300.00 spent on rebuilding the gummed up carbs I talked to the boat mechanic about what I should do.
    He said just like Papasage that little gas left will dry up faster and that I should be keeping a fuel stabilizer in the fuel now days. He and I both feel the quality of fuel we are buying now days does not last long before going stale.
    I have been a faithful user of Seafoam since last summer and have been happy not running out all the fuel. Still starts great even after setting a few month.

Post Thanks / Like

I use STAY-BIL in every tank of gas and have been using it for about 10 years. Never had to boil my carbs since. I'm sure Seafoam is just as good, but have never seen it here in LA.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everybody thats a good peace of mine, kmatcek my dad did the excact same thing remember like it was yesterday thanks again
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad I read this post. Since it was what my Dad did I didn't think I need to ask anyone about it but I guess I will stop running it dry when not in use. Thanks guys this is what I like about this site you learn something new every dayh.
    Birddog,

I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

for boat and motor info go to this site and join in as a member you can git as much advise on your boat as you git on fishing on this site.

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no authority on this issue but from personal experience I also was told to always run the gas out of your motor before taking out. I had a small 14/48 jon boat with a 20 merc on it and practiced this religously and never had any problems with that small motor.....I've since sold that boat to a friend of mine. I bought it new in 98 and it still runs like a charm. I wonder if the size motor has any bearing on the issue. I run a 150hp Johnson now and run it a lot through the winter. A good friend of mine has sold me on adding 2 Plus 4 conditioner with each tank of gas. Keeps the engine cleaner and reduces the carbon buildup. Also put dura-lub in with my oil occasionally. So far so good. Both have worked well enough for me to at least suggest it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with labill; STAY-BIL .

Post Thanks / Like

I just moved to florida and fish eveyday and add nothing.