Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie spawn

I am new to crappie fishing. I currently am fishing stockton off the bank. I know the spawn is in or coming. I was using minnows off of cedar ridge and caught 2 right off the bat. Then nothing. Can anybody give me any advice.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

don't stay in one place if they are not biting. Also I have found the best time is after 4 pm in the coves.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never fished that lake but from other posts on here it seems like they are starting to hit. Minnows are good but personaly i like to use jigs over minnows, i like to feel the bites that you will not know are there using a bobber. Dont get me wrong if i have minnows with me i will put 1 or 2 out on a bobber and let them sit but i am allways using a jig. The past week at Truman i did pretty well with a black and char jig under a bobber about 1 foot. Most of the males are around the banks right now so you should be able to find some. What i would try is to start with a jig about 1 1/2 feet deep under a bobber cast it along the bank and slowly reel it back to you giving it a little pop every now and then. if nothing move it to 1 foot, if still nothing go to about 10 in. Throw it by any trees close to the bank. Also try different colors, you may be out one day and get all your bites on blue and white and the next day you may not get a single hit on that color but black and char catches them all. Also if i change depths and colors and its not doing well i move on. you may have to walk down the bank 50 feet or it may be 100 feet but once you find where they are you can get into a good school of them and end up with a nice mess of fish. Bank fishing is tougher i know because that all i used to do but you can catch fish if you put in the time and you are patient. Dont be afraid to move around down the bank you will have to in order to find the fish. So my advise is to have a minnow out but while your waiting to see that minnow get you a fish dont just sit there work a jig or throw a roadrunner up and down the bank and hit the trees. keep with it and you will find them, once you do its on..... I am sure others that have many more years under their belts have other or better advise for you but thats what has worked for me.. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    I have never fished that lake but from other posts on here it seems like they are starting to hit. Minnows are good but personaly i like to use jigs over minnows, i like to feel the bites that you will not know are there using a bobber. Dont get me wrong if i have minnows with me i will put 1 or 2 out on a bobber and let them sit but i am allways using a jig. The past week at Truman i did pretty well with a black and char jig under a bobber about 1 foot. Most of the males are around the banks right now so you should be able to find some. What i would try is to start with a jig about 1 1/2 feet deep under a bobber cast it along the bank and slowly reel it back to you giving it a little pop every now and then. if nothing move it to 1 foot, if still nothing go to about 10 in. Throw it by any trees close to the bank. Also try different colors, you may be out one day and get all your bites on blue and white and the next day you may not get a single hit on that color but black and char catches them all. Also if i change depths and colors and its not doing well i move on. you may have to walk down the bank 50 feet or it may be 100 feet but once you find where they are you can get into a good school of them and end up with a nice mess of fish. Bank fishing is tougher i know because that all i used to do but you can catch fish if you put in the time and you are patient. Dont be afraid to move around down the bank you will have to in order to find the fish. So my advise is to have a minnow out but while your waiting to see that minnow get you a fish dont just sit there work a jig or throw a roadrunner up and down the bank and hit the trees. keep with it and you will find them, once you do its on..... I am sure others that have many more years under their belts have other or better advise for you but thats what has worked for me.. Good luck and let us know how you do.
    Nice job,very good advise for a bank fisherman.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the advice. A few more questions on the jig. Are you using a tube jig? And i think i read it right you are using a bobber w/ it. W/ the roadrunner/ cast and receive or use it w/ a bobber as well..

Thanks again
    D

Post Thanks / Like

throwing roadrunners from the bank can be very very frustrating. i swear those things get snagged on air bubbles in the water. keep with it.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

what kokopelli said+go wading and cast parallel to the bank ,you wont get snaged as often and your jig will stay in the strike zone longer.good luck and dont give up.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like fishing up at cedar ridge, well it tough up there, at the boat ramp as you are facing the water go left if you can, walk that bank and pitch the jig about 15feet out and slowly reel in, fan out your cast till you find the spot they are in, they all tend to like the same spot and will wait till one leaves and then another one takes there place. good luck and welcome to the site

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I can add much to the advice already given because I don't fish that lake, but the techniques mentioned will work around most parts of MO.
    I wanted to say, Welcome from Marshall MO though, your in good company around Stockton here on CDC.
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the best place at stockton to go for bank fishing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast