Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Winterizing the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winterizing the boat

I know it's not near that time yet, but I'm curious as to what everybody does to get their boat ready for winter storage? I usually change the lower end oil in the main outboard and hang it straight (instead of upright on the motor toter). I take the kicker motor inside after running it dry of gas. Both motors get a shot of stabilzer into the cylinders. I used to take the three batteries out of the boat and inside - but that was a hassle. I bought a 3 bank on-board charger/maintainer this spring; hopefully It will work the way I want it to for this winter. All I'm going to do there is plug the charger in and let the maintenance mode keep the batteries charged (warm) through the winter.
    I blow the livewell lines out with compressed air, and take the plug out. My ride sits outside under a cover during the warm months, and I add a tarp over it for winter to help with the snow.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winterizing......

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    I know it's not near that time yet, but I'm curious as to what everybody does to get their boat ready for winter storage? I usually change the lower end oil in the main outboard and hang it straight (instead of upright on the motor toter). I take the kicker motor inside after running it dry of gas. Both motors get a shot of stabilzer into the cylinders. I used to take the three batteries out of the boat and inside - but that was a hassle. I bought a 3 bank on-board charger/maintainer this spring; hopefully It will work the way I want it to for this winter. All I'm going to do there is plug the charger in and let the maintenance mode keep the batteries charged (warm) through the winter.
    I blow the livewell lines out with compressed air, and take the plug out. My ride sits outside under a cover during the warm months, and I add a tarp over it for winter to help with the snow.

Hey, Big Zig.......Sounds like you've got a good regimen for storing over the winter. I also clean the bilge pump assy. and livewell pump so it will be in good shape come spring. We have so much moss in LA that it can clog either one. In addition, I check the wheel bearings to insure there is no corrosion, then reassemble and shoot a couple shots of marine grease into the "bearing buddies." A good overall cleaning is next, then tarp it and she's ready for bed.

slab_seeker Guest

No winterization here, mine don't get to rest over the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Neither does mine!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Storage

I store my boat from late April until November or December. I thourly clean
    and apply a son-of-a-gun product to all rubber and plastic items. Also go over all the fiberglass with Pledge furniture polish [do not wipe off]. Have never put any kind of polish on the fiberglass finish and it is almost bright as new.
    Mix stabalizer according to directions and run long enough to make sure it
    gets into carbs. I usually do this before the last fishing trip. Do not run the gas out, because this alows the small amount of gas in carbs etc to dry up and deposit a film. This has worked well for me and I have not had to clean a
    carb on this boat since new 8 years ago.[Knock on wood]
    I also change lower unit grease at this time.
    I also put a moisture absorbing material [2 cans] and wad up a large amount of newspapers and spread around. The main thing is to avoid mildew at all cost. Leave livewell doors partially open.
    Tarp down very tight to keep mud dobbers out as well as weather and store under car port. Make sure boat is 100% dry before tarping.
    I am sure everyone has there own plan. This works for me.
    Joe

QUOTE=Big Zig]I know it's not near that time yet, but I'm curious as to what everybody does to get their boat ready for winter storage? I usually change the lower end oil in the main outboard and hang it straight (instead of upright on the motor toter). I take the kicker motor inside after running it dry of gas. Both motors get a shot of stabilzer into the cylinders. I used to take the three batteries out of the boat and inside - but that was a hassle. I bought a 3 bank on-board charger/maintainer this spring; hopefully It will work the way I want it to for this winter. All I'm going to do there is plug the charger in and let the maintenance mode keep the batteries charged (warm) through the winter.
    I blow the livewell lines out with compressed air, and take the plug out. My ride sits outside under a cover during the warm months, and I add a tarp over it for winter to help with the snow.[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winterizing

I take out the spark plugs and squirt some oil into the cylinders to prevent rusting. Fogging oil is what I have used since 1978. So far so good. I still have good compression in all cylinders.

I also change the lower unit gear grease. I put the Stabil in the fuel tanks.

I also run the engine until they stop running after disconnecting the gas line into the engine. But fuel will remain in the carbs float even when you run the engine dry. I was told that you can't get all the gasoline out of the carb.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winterazation

All good points for winterazation, but here's another one. Mouse Protection! If you store your boat where mice can get to it, they can raise havoc with chewing thru wiring and building nests. I put a bar of mouse poison on my boat. Forget the pellet type of poison, they'll just carry it off and storage it someplace on your boat. I've also heard that Bounce dryer sheets repel mice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    All good points for winterazation, but here's another one. Mouse Protection! If you store your boat where mice can get to it, they can raise havoc with chewing thru wiring and building nests. I put a bar of mouse poison on my boat. Forget the pellet type of poison, they'll just carry it off and storage it someplace on your boat. I've also heard that Bounce dryer sheets repel mice.
    Good point! I had to sit here and wonder why I never had a problem with mice and/or chipmunks. Then it hit me - my Siberian Husky does a pretty stellar job of collecting them everyday she's out. They're like a play toy for her, problem is; one bite and it's usually game over. She's pretty good at it to - has yet to get bit by a chipmunk in 6 years..........

Post Thanks / Like

the winter/cold weather is my favorite time to fish during the year, so my boat is used as much or more through the colder months than the warmer months, so i dont do no storing or winterizing. the only thing i do is lower the motor to drain the water out of the foot to keep it from freezing over night when i take it out of the water. unless the waters is freezing over to where you cant use the boat id reccomend those that store the boats give winter fishing a try. a great time to catch fish and be rid of the water lice thats such a problem during the warmer months.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

slab_seeker Guest

If you fish all year you don't have the fool with winterizing or making sure it will crank in the spring.