Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinning Vs Spincast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinning Vs Spincast

In response to my question about fishing brushpiles, everyone has suggested using spinning reels. That is the type of reel that I have always used for this kind of thing. However, the guys I fished with recently said that they prefer spincast reels. They said that the retrieve rate is much slower that a spinning reel & that lets them fish much slower. Also they said that they have fewer problems because of the tendency of a spinning reel to "loop up." And they did fish trouble-free that day and caught fish. What advantages do you see in spinning reels over spincast reels?

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

Spinning equals more drag control. I dislike closed reels anyway though. I guess it's just a matter of preference.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

old mitchell 308 made in france in the 60-early 70 cant beat them
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion spinning reels are better because you can cast them further and I like that weight at the bottom rather than the top. Yes they can "loop up" but you can prevent that by getting in the habit of manually closing the bail just before the bait hits the water. Its a little awkward at first but if you get in the habit it becomes automatic.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    In my opinion spinning reels are better because you can cast them further and I like that weight at the bottom rather than the top. Yes they can "loop up" but you can prevent that by getting in the habit of manually closing the bail just before the bait hits the water. Its a little awkward at first but if you get in the habit it becomes automatic.
    thats a good tip. i dint know that. thanks
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

i don't close bail but catch line on finger and the let bail take it off my finger! also use finger to feather line when target casting. like bill says takes a little practice and i love to practice fishin!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Also, the closed faced idea sounds good for crappie fishin...but if I found myself chasing something else (although I won't say here what that might be) I think I might find a spinning reel better than a spin cast due to retrieve ratio. Not a big difference but I find a faster reel preferrable.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me with the reel and rod turned down like on a spinning reel it is way more sensitive...Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billbob
    old mitchell 308 made in france in the 60-early 70 cant beat them
    Hi biLLbob you think a mitchell 310 is too light?
    FIN

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What???

What u need all that casting distance for? Just pull the trigger and let the bait drop (with chartruce), then reel it up. Diawa Dx underspins...Grandkid proof...ha
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast