Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Tip For new guys and gals to crappie fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Tip For new guys and gals to crappie fishing

Yesterday evening made me post this and will tell all the truth as it happened, even about the minnows. First I never use minnows in the spring (normally), but I bought some about a week or longer ago and had not used them. I wanted to try a friends method of slow trolling with them on a Capps and Coleman type rig.

Just couldn't get to them when I was doing well on my chart/blue/chart Roadrunners and had been hammering them on that long line trolling. Well yesterday I went out a noon testing my little app for best times and took minnows. I couldn't much action on my jig so stopped at a stump that I knew was holding some crappie and pitched out a minnow. Soon I had caught 10 with 4 keepers, but it was time to go home and tie some.

So about 5PM I went out again and took the minnows, after all they had done pretty good at noon. However I couldn't buy a bite for about 10 minutes and thought, well if they are not biting these I can drag around my jig and not get hits too so that is what I did. However just before I stopped the minnow thing I had moved the cork more shallow and could see the minnow flashing around. So then started pulling the little chart/blue/chart and then it hit me to see how far down I could see it. Well the water was more clear than it had been and I could see it at least another foot down more than what it had been.

Well as soon as I saw that I changed over to a Roadrunner that was Silver/Blue/White and almost immediately started getting hits and catching crappie. Storm came up about an hour later, maybe less and by then I had boated about 12 with only 4 keepers, but at least they were hitting it and had some fun. Also ended up with 8 for an hour at lunch time and another hour in the evening so was not that bad after all.

So the reason I am making this post is to say keep your thinking hat on all the time and change in color can make a big difference and if I had not see the minnow flashing around I probably wouldn't have looked to see how far down I could see the chart/blue/chart and wouldn't have changed and would have just thought they were not biting at all. The bite was very light so the green braid was important too as most of the bites I probably would have never felt on mono and I did have to tease them some into biting.

Also was glad to see the stinking minnows didn't out fish the jigs, LOL!

OK, done and just thought this as a good FYI,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

excellent tip! Time and time again ive proven to myself and others, the best depth to start is right where your bait disappears, whatever depth that may be. Even in muddy water it can hold true, fish might be just inches from the surface. Its not always the right depth, but i like to start as high as i can in the water level, and work my way down, especially during pre-spawn and spawning fish.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice Skip

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

As I always say, give them what THEY want, not what YOU want them to bite on. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

The main thing I was trying to get across is that paying attention to small things can pay off and maybe your just a color change away from nothing and a good catch.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Fished 3 days last week and did real good day 1 , post storm. Day 2 was about half of day 1 and we had to work for em, clear skies and clearer water. Day 3 was high pressure, bluebird skies and couldn't buy a keeper Crappie. Tried some color changes to no avail. After your post I'm wondering if I missed something I should have seen. Day 3 the water was clearer than I can remember seeing it for a long time.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Good post and good advice, Skip.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys and Skeet I go to white's and blue's. Yesterday I was still doing ok with my silver/blue/white, but today they had kind of slowed a good bit. So I ran to town to take some jigs to the mail ad on my way back I though of using some of my new materials in something close to that. So I have some really big silver tinsel and I tied it on a plated Roadrunner with a Lt. Blue tail with silver flash and silver willow leaf blade. When I went back out today at 4PM I started using that new one and wow I just thumped them for a hours of so. I was able to catch lots more fish in the same place I had been lately and even this morning for a short time. Best fishing I have had in about 2 weeks. Must have caught 25 or so, but only 10 keepers over our 10" Min. Still lots of hot action.

Ran into some friends there later and see them all the time, most every day I go out. They had no keepers and only a few under size.

Pays to keep thinking and changing up the combo's especially when you fish the same water over and over like I do sometime. Pays to change.

Oh and lately I have been tying in a (just one) red Holo flash strip in on the bottom.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly910 View Post
    excellent tip! Time and time again ive proven to myself and others, the best depth to start is right where your bait disappears, whatever depth that may be. Even in muddy water it can hold true, fish might be just inches from the surface. Its not always the right depth, but i like to start as high as i can in the water level, and work my way down, especially during pre-spawn and spawning fish.

HB
    Yep caught quite a few very nice crappie this spring that hit my jig almost the same time it hit the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the Tip Skip!Thanks for metioning that.It seems like Crappie are the most finnicky fish around..That holds true in Saltwater also;Speckeld Trout can be Color Aficionados too!(Water clairity,color picky)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast