Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Garmin GPS 60

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin GPS 60

I marked 17 waypoints yesterday with my first GPS. It is a Garmin GPS 60 and I can't wait to use it every day. I used a GPS with Tom Saturday and I couldn't believe what I could do. I have fished alot with folks that used a GPS, but I finally got one and will never go back to not using it. A lot of people don't believe in these things, but with the huge open water lakes I fish, these things will definately increase my fish catch by aloowing me to literally go straight to these submerged brushpiles, channel drops, and other important areas that cannot be triangulated from big open water. Exact speed is also a plus. Found yesterday on Shoals creek that 0.5 mph was the perfect speed. I marked 17 important spots that I found in just a couple of hours. Also, I caught 9 crappie yesterday simply because the GPS showed me my path while spider rigging, then I simply turned the boat and went back on the exact path because the GPS marked it. The fish were in schools and following the same path was very important.
    Now, I am not telling most of you anything that have been using these things, but if you haven't yet bought one, I truly suggest you do. If you fish open water, put out brush piles, spider rig, and or fish a lot of different lakes, I promise it is worth the money.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Good News Dave. I agree, how did we ever get along without it? Did you ever use a loran?? Can't believe such a dramatic improvement is possible.

FYI, if you ever want to use a map to get your waypoint/coordinates, try topozone.com if you haven't already. Just click on a map where you want to be and it will center the map and give you the coordinates in the format of your choice (to match your gps). The maps might not be the best for underwater contours but you may find it helpful anyway.

I always wondered how accurate this method would be until I tried it yesterday to mark an unmarked turn off (driving). I was amazed at just how precise the coordinate worked on my Garmin 45. Distance to waypoint went to 0.00 as I made the turn.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Dave...does that model have MMC card capability so you can swap maps from someone else?

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

no, I don't think so
    Shoals Area Crappie Association