Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Warmer water means change on Toledo Bend

Post Thanks / Like

Default Warmer water means change on Toledo Bend

Well, Things have changed here on the Bend! Thanks to this warm weather, we have had to look at the increasing water temperature and regroup to find the moving schools of large Crappie.
    Jigster and his father fished with me on Friday afternoon and Saturday. On Friday afternoon we noticed the quantity of large Crappie was dwindling in holes that normally pay off during these cold winter months.
    Saturday morning started out slow but after constant moves and trying different colors and depths we finally managed and respectable catch. Not what we had hopped for but enough to keep the action going. I believe we ended up with just under 70 nice ones for the day.
    Sunday morning Chip and Steven from Shreveport came down for a half-day of fishing
    and I finally put it all together. Warm water = shallow Crappie! We killed ‘em today in shallow water. I had so much fun that I had to go back again after Chip and Steven left to fish with Percher. Just couldn’t get enough swimming jigs in shallow water. Total for both trips today was pushing 100. Big, aggressive, and shallow, this is Crappie fishing at its finest! Who would have thought that on January 1 we would be catching Crappie shallow enough to be spawning!
    I saw several unfamiliar boats with Louisiana numbers and wondered if they where
    some of my Crappie.com friends. I have a maroon Ranger with a 150 Merc If you happen to see me please stop and say hello on the water, or stop by the lodge on your way in for a cold drink.
    I enjoyed fishing with everyone this weekend and wish everyone on Crappie.com a “Crappie” new year. Mark.
    Robinson's Lodge
    Toledo Bend
    accommodations and guide service
    936-368-2211
    Toledobendlodge.com
    Keep what you need, Release the rest, Protect the resource.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, as the weather remains warm, keep to the shallows! You will find the ultra slabs already searching for proper nesting areas. That won't happen up here in NE Oklahoma till next month sometime. But, those of you fishing warmer waters right now, make it a point to test out some of the very shallow areas you normally hit during spawn. You just might could find yourself in the middle of some of the biggest crappie you have ever caught in your entire life. The day's coming when you will come across exactly what I am talking about. It could be the fishing trip of your life! Check the exposed roots, trees, brush that are in 1-5' of water. Work at least 25 different spots before you give up. Coming across just one 3lb fish during that search should be enough to make a believer out of you. You have to hunt them down during this time of year. The smaller ones will still be in the deeper waters. The hogs are moving more shallow daily, DON"T miss the chance to land them!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,

what's the water temp out there? Here in CENTEX it's still in the mid to low 50's and as far as I can tell, the crappie are scattered all over the place. Maybe I wasn't fishing shallow enough??????smedley
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here at home

Here the crappie have been going shallow everyday when the outside temp gets above 60 all winter long. It adds to the day, cause the diehard winter fishermen who always catch them deep, are staying deep with the tops and those of us who aren't stuck in a rut are actually having fun catching fish shallow while they are going home empty handed. It's funny that the diehards have their timing all wrong. If it is 50 or less, they have been trying to beat everyone to the shallow spots and if it's above 50 they are hightailing it to the deep tops and either way they're missing out!!
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

had a week of mild weather here in n.c. caught a bunch sun. afternoon 4-5 ft over brush bout that deep!! won't be long now!!!love swimmin that bucktail jig!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The temp mid day on Toledo was 55-58 on Sunday and Monday. Don