Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Service on Electronics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Service on Electronics

Had to send my Garmin Geko 301 GPS and my Humminbird 300TX fishfinder in because both were getting moisture in them.

On the Geko water appeared to be getting between two layers of lenses when fishing in the rain, which made it hard to see. It would dry out and didn’t appear to be getting inside but my one-year warranty was about to expire so called Garmin and they said to send it in for them to check it out.

I sent it by priority mail a week ago Monday and I had a brand new one this Monday. I had all my waypoints saved on my computer so it was real easy to load them all onto the new unit and it’s working great. I’ve been using my backup unit – a Garmin Etrex Legend – and I much prefer the Geko for locating and positioning the boat around brush piles.

It updates much faster and seems to be more accurate. The Geko doesn’t have any mapping capability but I’d just as soon not have anything on the screen but my waypoints anyway. I have the Etrex mounted on my console so I can use it to navigate to my brushpiles and could also use it in the dark or fog for navigating since it has a basic map on it.

The lens was cracked on the Humminbird from being out in the sun nearly every day for about three years. Since it was out of warranty I sent in the repair fee of 68.95 and they sent me a brand new one, which I had back just eight days later. This is the second time they have sent me a new unit for just the repair fee even though they were out of warranty.

That’s pretty good service in my book!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Humminbirds

I run a Garmin 240 on my dash, but just recently added a Humminbird Legend 2000 up on the bow. It was a reman from Humminbird direct, and I'll tell you, I really like it! Very easy to use, with dials instead of constantly pushing buttons to change a setting. The unit was $115 delivered. Anyone looking for a unit now should checkout Humminbird's site for closeouts, that have a few different models.

slab_seeker Guest

You can't beat Hummingbirds service.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Hummingbird LCR 8000 was repaired once too

Hummingbird repaired my LCR8000 once in the past. I sent it in long after the warranty had expired and they sent it back to me within a week. It was winter time when I sent it in and I didn't miss it at all. My unit still works today. I have seen some moisture inside the display in the past but not recently. I think that in cold weather any water vapor may condense out when it's cold outside. Like in the early morning hours in the Fall. Anytime it's very cold outside the air inside the unit won't be able to hold the same amount of water vapor. They should dry the unit's out under very cold conditions and then seal them before shipping them back out.

I worked in the air pollution field for many years and found that it's almost impossible to make something 100% air tight. Eventually any seal will leak and some air will creep inside a unit.

So far my repaired unit has worked well. I don't use it everyday like Jerry does as I don't have to take clients out in the rain to make a living. But I use it enough to put it though some bad weather and hot and cold conditions over the last 20 year. I don't know if the unit they sent back to me after the repairs is the same unit or not. I thought it was because I had saved some stuff on the unit and that stuff was still there when I got it back. I have never taken it apart but I bet that there are some computer chips inside that they can replace pretty easily.

But to get a new $800 unit for only 65 bucks is a pretty good deal especially one unit that is over 10 years old and out of warranty and not made anymore. To me that is great service. It the reason why I have a 15 year old unit that still works great today. It has most all the features of the new units and helps me find and catch fish.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-04-2006 at 07:19 AM.
    Regards,

Moose1am