Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Can Fish See the Hook

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can Fish See the Hook

I was looking at hook size the other day. Can fish see a larger hook or do they feel it when they bite down and let go when they feel it. I was using #2 but have started now with #4 I have some sickle hooks that are great but they stick up like a #2 but are #4 I am going to look at the #6 in this same hook. Also what about the red hooks anybody like these. Just trying out different hooks on 1/24 & 1/16 Jigs. Cub48

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Yep, they sure can see the hook ...

Quote Originally Posted by cub48 View Post
    I was looking at hook size the other day. Can fish see a larger hook or do they feel it when they bite down and let go when they feel it. I was using #2 but have started now with #4 I have some sickle hooks that are great but they stick up like a #2 but are #4 I am going to look at the #6 in this same hook. Also what about the red hooks anybody like these. Just trying out different hooks on 1/24 & 1/16 Jigs. Cub48
    ... regardless of size, style, or color. But, I don't think it matters all that much to them, to be able to see it ... they either cannot understand it, or think it's part of the body of your bait. Or else they're too interested in your bait to give a hoot :p

I started with jigheads in 1/32 & 1/16oz with #4 hooks ... never had a problem with them, and still use them sometimes. Mostly, nowadays, I use the same weight jigheads ... but with a #2 hook. Haven't seen any major difference in bites, hookups, or action of the bait. Biggest difference for me is the ability to use a bigger/thicker bodied plastic ... and still have a good amount of gap between the hook point & plastic body.

I've caught fish on jigs with red hooks, black hooks, bronze hooks, & gold hooks ... never really noticed any major preference for any particular hook color, by the fish anyway :p

Fish can probably feel the hook, when they bite down on it ... but they may just think it's the spines of the "minnow" they just bit on :p But, don't worry too much about that ... just set the hook at the first sign of a hit, and you'll hook up with your share. That's the reason I like casting a jig so much ... every hit transmits a "jump" in the line. That's what I'm watching for !! I prefer to not "feel" the bite, just "see" the bite ... because I know that, if I can feel him ... he can feel me (and might be prone to spitting it out faster). I don't like to give them that opportunity. I like to "surprise" them ... with a fast hookset
    About 90% of the time .. that hook is embedded in the roof of their mouth, and most any size hook will hold them when it's stuck there !!

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

pappy, I love casting for them as well and watching for that little line twitch, but I also love the feel of it too when they tap it. Has there ever been a poll done here asking everyones preferred style of catching them? Not their most successful style, just their favorite or funnest style. Maybe the two go hand in hand. My favorite is casting by far, but I love it all as long as I am catching fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they can see hooks. I recently caught a 12" crappie on just the hook. Had just lost a minnow on it and threw the bare hook back over the boat to do something else and I saw the rod bend and sure enough I done caugth me a crappie on a bare hook. :rolleyes:Never happened before. Maybe something about them red hooks !!!
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!