Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: weekend crappie frenzy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default weekend crappie frenzy!

MT Bucket: Weekend crappie frenzy
    The crappies were biting again on tonka, with the warmer water they are up on top of the weeds 4 to six feet down. I must have caught 40 on saturday, and another 30 sunday afternoon, many were smaller but anough keepers made for a good day.
    I got most of my fish on a blue glow tube, that was hot for me, tightlining with hi vis fireline, slowly letting it glide down, when the line stoped fish on! I also got some on a little atom jumbo wedgee. Jack got plenty of fish on a jig and 2 inch power minnow below a float.

Video: Jack gets a nice "Jack' fish hehe

some keepers for the pan!
    What is in my bucket today?
    http://mtbucket.blogspot.com/

Rrrrrr...I am on the lake, and thats all the crappies need to know!

Michael Thompson
    Gem Kids Fishing Camp and Club
    www.gemfishing.org

Post Thanks / Like

Tonka, eh? Nice lake...too busy for me. I suppose that this early the booz'in crew hasn't hit the water yet. My fishing there has been limited to being on the ice and it was a zoo there every time too.

The Zumbro has finally settled into a spring pattern. These few days of consistent high pressure with sun and warmer than normal temps have worked wonders. Now I'm too busy to fish it seems. lol

Jiggin_Joe is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to fish the zumbro sometime maybe I might have to give it a shot soon.

JJ

Oh and thanks for the pics MT I still enjoy your pictures
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jokerpoker/logo.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

JJ....The Zumbro was cooking today. Great bite up until the wind got attitude.

I caught around 90 in 3 1/2 hours. Gulp and other plastics did the trick. The core water of the lake finally got back to 54 degrees and that turned them on. Should hold together now finally. Let me know if you are going to hit the lake a day or so ahead of time and I can send you some areas to check out.

Ma and I had a crappie dinner tonight. Darn, they were good.

Jiggin_Joe is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah I will do that thanks . oh and now im hungry for crappie thanks lol

JJ
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jokerpoker/logo.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CTom View Post
    Tonka, eh? Nice lake...too busy for me. I suppose that this early the booz'in crew hasn't hit the water yet. My fishing there has been limited to being on the ice and it was a zoo there every time too.
    Haha, I hear you! but:D we were in lafayette sp? bay and had it pretty much to ourselves

Michael Thompson
    www.gemfishing.org

Post Thanks / Like

hey baron im new to crappie fishing but i managed to find some in about 15 ft off a point on tonka, i mostly caught sunnies tho that were too small to keep (around 7") i couldnt keep the sunnies off the line, but i new there were some big crappies in the bunch... any tips on keepin the sunnies off?!

Post Thanks / Like

gman234, yep, use a bigger bait, keep upsizing til you stop catching those pesky sunnies, the sunfish might still peck at it, but you will not have to pull many in, plus the sunnies pecking on the bait sometimes triggers crappies and bass to bite! good luck!

Michael Thompson
    www.gemfishing.org

Post Thanks / Like

hey baron thanks fors the advice! i went out with a buddy today to the same spot and i caught some 9 and 10 inchers, man there fun to catch on light tackle. I also hooked a huge one that i thought was a bass till i saw it shimmer and knew it was a crappie it had to be around 15"!!! but it jumped and spit the hook..i noticed that happened to me a few times on the crappies anyways there is a crappie contest on lake minnetonka this weekend ( maybe your participating) biggest fish wins a boat or something. any more tips? much appreciated