Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New spinning reel?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New spinning reel?

New member needing opinions. I'm looking at Shimano spinning reels and see that the reels below the Sahara are graphite frames and from the Sahara up are aluminum frames. My budget won't allow reels above $100 and the lower the better provided it's a decent reel. Is aluminum framed that much better or would a graphite framed reel suffice for the occasional bass fisherman?

Post Thanks / Like

Shimnao Symetre is a nice reel for just under a $100.00.
    I also have the sahara 4000, use for Lake Michigan salmon

Post Thanks / Like

Default good choice

You can't go wrong with the symetry or sahara for that matter. I've had both in the past. Finally wore out the sahara2500 & upgraded to a Saros. NICE reels. :D
    If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

I have alot of Shimano reels. The graphite frame ones will suffice for the occasional bass trips. I have the old TX-120 and TX-110 magnumlite reels from the 1980's and they're still going strong!!!!!!!!!!! I have two SideStabs from the 90's that have hardly been used but are getting more of a workout.

I have a Symtre 2000 I bought brand new at a flea market last year for $20 bucks and getting ready to order the new Spirex F1000RG rear drag ultralight.

I always register my reels with Shimano and then any problems become theirs unless it's my complete dumb A$$ doing something I shouldn't have but that hasn't happend yet.

Seen some of the Sahara 4000 series reels at Walmart and for $59 you can't go wrong. I'd check which model they are if you're gonna be using them for crappie. If mostly crappie I'd look at the 2500 series or less.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Cant go wrong with Shimano, but I would recommend you put the reel on the rod to check for rod balance before you buy.