Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stick Steering

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stick Steering

I got a 2005 Triton 1653SS with stick steering. I removed the standoffs that the controls were mounted in and moved them into the side panels to have more room to swivel around. I love the stick steering with the exception of having to underpower the boat simply because it has that type of steering. This isn't my first boat with stick steering and I'm very familar with operating them. I talked to the dealer where I bought the boat and the rating is reduced simply because of the stick steering. They have a model the same except for console steering that isn't crippled by having to be underpowered. IMHO I think they are in some ways safer than console or tiller steer. You can see a lot better from the front and you don't have to run to the bow to tie off with the chance of loosing your footing if you misjudge the coast to the tie-off object and bump into it especially in faster current or windy days. If you're not in the front and by yourself and you miss the tie-off you have to go back to the back and try again until you time it right. It also makes my day a lot easier because of my venous problems not having to run around the boat. Along with other stick steering fans out there I really like the fact that I can do anything that I need to do along with not having to get up and around a console or ahead from a tiller to tie off or other things. Texas has a 40 HP max. rating on all new boats equipped with stick steering. Florida will allow 60 HP and I heard that Missouri doesn't have any limitations. The only company that supplies all of the boating manufacturers is easyglide (easyglide.com). This is according to all the major manufacturers that I could contact (Triton, Alumacraft, Tracker, War Eagle, Lowe, SeaArk, and Xtremeindustries). They have a newer model that is supposed to handle up to a 70 HP outboard or 90 Jet. I have the other model (40 HP-65 Jet). I purchased the newer model because it is supposed to have better handeling and a shorter throw, but I returned it because it didn't. The 40 HP works okay but if my boat was rigged with a console it would be rated up to a 70 hp [2(length x width) - 90]. I am very aware of any liability that it could put me in and I would like to know what the actual laws (and not recomendations) are concerning stick steering and does anyone know if it's legal to overpower the boat hp rating (with stick steering) after it's paid off and can it then be insured?

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 15 ft. Dura Craft with stick steering, rated for 25 H.P. and knew it would be under powered. Talked to the dealer who told me he could not install a larger motor. I bought the boat and trailer and a 40 H.P. motor in the box. Did the rigging myself. Made a great fishing rig. DNR guys looked at it many times without any problems. Of course this voids any warrantyon the boat. Iam in Georgia. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bait Runner
    I bought a 15 ft. Dura Craft with stick steering, rated for 25 H.P. and knew it would be under powered. Talked to the dealer who told me he could not install a larger motor. I bought the boat and trailer and a 40 H.P. motor in the box. Did the rigging myself. Made a great fishing rig. DNR guys looked at it many times without any problems. Of course this voids any warrantyon the boat. Iam in Georgia. Hope this helps
    Did you have any trouble insuring it or did that void being able to?

Post Thanks / Like

No problem with insurance. I had it insured with the insurance co. that I have home owners with.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have seen 40 hp rigged by dealer in ga.. i thought that was the limmit on hp.for stick sterring .i ran a 50 hp for years with stick stering . older boat no insurance and no warenty . i was looking for a stick stering a while back and they had one for over 40 hp . up to 70 i think . some states may not alow any thing bigger . but i think ga. does up to 40 hp unless they have changed it .

saw one with a stering wheel mounted like a sticl on the side . the man had it becouse it had a longer turn than stick
    Last edited by papasage; 01-01-2006 at 07:28 PM.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

i run a stick steer basstracker 16 foot and love it.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

check this out . i found the site .

http://www.ezyglide.com/steering.html
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papasage
    i have seen 40 hp rigged by dealer in ga.. i thought that was the limmit on hp.for stick sterring .i ran a 50 hp for years with stick stering . older boat no insurance and no warenty . i was looking for a stick stering a while back and they had one for over 40 hp . up to 70 i think . some states may not alow any thing bigger . but i think ga. does up to 40 hp unless they have changed it .

saw one with a stering wheel mounted like a sticl on the side . the man had it becouse it had a longer turn than stick
    Do you remember why brand boat that was with a stick steer rated for a 70hp?
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

check this out . i found the site .

http://www.ezyglide.com/steering.html
    I have checked with them and, believe it or not, they had no idea what the horsepower rating law is.

Post Thanks / Like

I know of one boat company making the one with the side steering wheel. Looks a little funny.
    Last edited by CrappieHead; 01-01-2006 at 10:30 PM.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast