Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What speed do you long line jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What speed do you long line jigs?

I've been having decent luck at .8-1.0 mph but I'm hearing some folks say they go 1.5 mph and as fast as 2-3 mph. So what speed works best for you?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I've been have the good results with the same speeds you have, but there was a day last week that we caught more at 1.2 mph. If you're not catching anything speed up in this warmer weather. I'm not sure that the speed made the difference except it put the jigs a little higher in the water column.

Post Thanks / Like

Rarely over 1.5, have never pulled em 3mph, but have pulled cranks 2mph or better, sounds like you hitting the speeds I usally do, its kinda a trial and error type thing, let the fish tell you what they want.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I try to keep between .8 and 1.2 MPH and if the wind is blowing on of the ways I am going, then I will change the amount or % of power I will use to keep close to the same speed I get bit at. This is my main fishing method in the spring and just love it. No better way to relax and catch crappie. Not much work involved and as long as I don't have to watch more than one rod, it's great time out like that.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    This is my main fishing method in the spring and just love it. No better way to relax and catch crappie. Not much work involved and as long as I don't have to watch more than one rod, it's great time out like that.

Skip
    I think this method will work on suspended Crappie in open water in the heat of the summer and winter too. I will be experimenting with it this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    I think this method will work on suspended Crappie in open water in the heat of the summer and winter too. I will be experimenting with it this year.
    I can tell you from experience it works great on suspended summer time crappie, in all honesty thats the only time we long line, had several 100+ fish days in july and aug last summer in 80 and 90 deg air temp, winter and ice out are different patterns for us so not sure bout the winter fish, but it works awesome on em when they are suspending in summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to steal your thread Tap, but do most of you guys longline straight out the back of the boat of off the sides?

Thanks,

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

we longline out the back and off the sides. when i fish in my boat alone i run 6 rods off one side and 2 off the back, that way i can make tight turns and not have to stand up to touch a rod.

as far as speed, i try to run .9-1.2 all the time. i dont have a fancy auto-i-troller so my speed is never a constant. which i like, because nothing in the natural world moves a constant speed or direction.
    God bless America

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
    Not to steal your thread Tap, but do most of you guys longline straight out the back of the boat of off the sides?

Thanks,

Scott
    we run em out the sides of the boat and depending on how many peep are in the boat we may run 2 out the back, my states 2 poles per person, so if its just me and my son (or just me) I run em out the sides and stager the lines by different rod length, if 3 peep in the boat 2 out each side, and 2 out of the back 1 on each side of the motor.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys run any additional weight or just a jig head? Without more weight, I wold think a 1/16 jig head would be only a 2-3" deep even with a long cast.

Dayton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast