Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Member recognized

Post Thanks / Like

Default Member recognized

One of our own Crappie.com members has been recognized by the ODWC for his work with the Wildlife federation and personal work. I think we are all appreciative of the work and info Cricket George gives on this board. It is nice to see him recognized on a state level. The following is a quote from the ODWC home page:

In other business, the Commission recognized the Oklahoma Wildlife Federation for donations that have benefited the Wildlife Department’s programs and conservation efforts.

“During 2009, the Oklahoma Wildlife Federation donated over $6,000 to the ODWC for various programs,” Bolton said.

George Edwards represented the Wildlife Federation at the meeting, where the group’s donations were recognized, including purchasing a boat trailer, gillnets, herbicides for food plot management, and supporting important programs such as the Oklahoma Archery in the Schools Program.

“George has been a very strong supporter of this agency for many years through the Oklahoma Wildlife Federation and through personal efforts,” said Richard Hatcher, director of the Wildlife Department.

Good work George!!!

Odie
    Common sense isn't always that common!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats George!

Post Thanks / Like

WTG, Geo! He for sure puts alot of time into helping the ODWC. I want to know where he gets all this energy?
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

Great Job!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Amen on where he gets all his energy, the guy is like the Energizer Bunny! Congratulations George on your recognition by the state.
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I tella ya fellas. I have been blessed with growing up in the country yet in the city. For those of you who have been to the family place near downtown OKC you will understand. For those who have not, the family place is 160 acres near downtown and has 1/2 mile of Deep Fork River running thru it. I have hunted and fished it all my life. My Father used to take me when I was young to my uncle's ranch NW of Antlers to visit, hunt and fish. I grew up in the outdoors and my son,when he was 5, joined me in the field and on the water. I recall when I bought him his lifetime H & F license a ranger who was processing the form looked at me with a wry grin and asked me how old my son was. I said 5 and the man just grinned.
    30 years ago I acquired a farm at Antlers and started managing the property for deer. People thought I was nuts. I leased some land for turkey hunting and the locals REALLY thought I was nuts then. They never realized what was coming, I was just ahead of the pack. I have vigorously managed the farm for deer and turkey and other wildlife. I have been more than just a landowner I have been a steward of the land and the property shows it.

The years have past and many people have come to me for help in managing their land or leases for wildlife. I was approached by Ray Scott's company,"The Whitetail Institute of North America" and they asked me if I would be one of their field testers to trial experimental seed blends for wildlife. I have done this many years now. Some of the C.C members have talked with me about their properties. I enjoy helping people.

My work in the wastewater field has parallels with aging farm ponds and so I started Pond Mgmt 101 for C.C members to help them with their pond questions. This has been rewarding for me. I will continue this endeavor.

I was president of the Oklahoma Wildlife Federation for 2 years. This organization was founded in 1950 and acted as the voice of the Okla Sportsmen and Sportswomen until my board of directors and I decided that our mission was complete and is being carried on by DU, NWTF, and other conservation organizations. We walked into the light at the end of 2009.

I am currently working with another conservation organization that takes children hunting for many it is their first time out. The kids are from single parent families that do not have a connection to the land but want to learn to hunt and enjoy the outdoors. My farm is one of the hunt sites.

I continue to answer the call of children and others who want an outdoor experience. C.C is a part of that outdoor experience.

I am humbled by your praise.

Cricket George

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, CG, and thanks for sharing some of your past. Very interesting!! I still enjoy reading your pond management post. Thanks, for keeping it going!

Post Thanks / Like

Rigrunner- I will be working with Keith Thomas, ODWC biologist, and his shock boat on the Piedmont Lake and the Hinton Lake projects on Tuesday. We are "flip flopping" fish to meet each respective lakes goal. I will report our findings on Tuesday night.

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Way to go C.G. Proud to know you!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats George, Great story I shared it with my family and they loved it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast