Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Throttle cable

Post Thanks / Like

Default Throttle cable

ok so i am not a boat mechanic and had a question for any of you that know more than i do. I took the boat out to a local lake to make sure everything was working right. Everything seemed to be just fine but one thing has been bugging me. when i push the trottle down to go forward it almost feels a bit stiff. Also it does not feel like i am getting 100% of the power when its fully down. Now the motor is a 1983 50 horse Johnson and i am pretty sure the Throttle cable has never been replaced. Does this sound like the cable is bad, or that is just may need to be reajusted? has anyone else every had an issue like this and if so what did you do to fix it?

Post Thanks / Like

my dad had a similary problem on a 78 evinrude but it was the steering cable. He had to put a grease cirq on the one end and force grease through. After that it was fine. Not sure if you can do the same on the throttle cables.
    Opinions are like A-holes, everybody has one and some stink worse than others!

Post Thanks / Like

Pop the cowl and hit the end of the cable with wd 40 and all the linkage that you see move when you move the throttle,my buddy has the same motor and that fixed his,if that don't work then its most likely time for a new cable but i'd bet that fixes it.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie