Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tail Material for Crappie Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tail Material for Crappie Jigs

Newbie at jig tying and was wondering if you jig tying experts have a preference and maybe why? If you have something specific, I would sure benefit from your knowledge? So much to choose from kip tails, buck tails, maribou and strung maribou and all different kinds of hackles?

Thanks and Good Fishing,
    Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Mud-Dabber....I see you're from Abilene, and your waters are clearer than the ones here in LA, and that makes a difference in what materials you will want to use. In stained or muddy water, I like to use synthetic hair so that it won't absorb tannin or mud stains, as bucktail, marabou, hackle and other natural materials will. You can find it in various colors in many stores that handle fly materials, BPS is a good outlet if there's one close. If your waters are clear you can use what you prefer. In the pic below, take a close look at the large flies, they all are tied with the synthetic materials. The rest as you can see, have marabou, hackle, yarn, and chain eyes. BTW, the craft shop at Wally World offers many materials you can use to tie with. An assortment of feathers are available, as are beads, threads, felt, and a number of other materials.

Post Thanks / Like

I like all those things plus squirrel tail. Poly hair (fish hair) is great alone or combined with other things. Check out your local Hobby Lobby or Michael's Craft store for odds and ends. Embroidery floss can add a nice bit of color to a jig when combined with your primary material. I buy most of my supplies from Jann's Netcraft in Maumee, Ohio. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com
    If you want some tinsel type material, see what's in the close-out bin at the local KMart Christmas department. I bought a huge bundle of Martha Stewart's tinsel for $.48 last year. It will outlast me.

- Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

labill,
    GRAND looking bugs! Those minnow immi's oughta work well for whites and stripers too. Do you ever find use for a bug immi, such as a dark woolybugger?
    Last edited by lee s.; 12-31-2005 at 11:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lee s.
    labill,
    GRAND looking bugs! Those minnow immi's oughta work well for whites and stripers too. Do you ever find use for a bug immi, such as a dark woolybugger?
    lee, I use the woolybugger mostly for trout, but crappie and gills will take them too. I make a mosquito imitation also that works well for panfish, if I feel like using a flyrod on them. Most of my crappie fishing is vertical with a crappie pole, so I tie the jigs primarily for my own use, and sometimes work a trade-off with someone that also ties his own. There is also a bug called "Crappie Candy" that works well on a flyrod. In the pic, there are two of them on the top row from the left, #2 and #3.

Post Thanks / Like

Check some of the craft/hobby stores around you. Hobby Lobby here in Tenn is great to pick up things to tye with.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

Fine looking assortment labill, I use maribou mostly because I have so much of it. I have some synthetic hackle in various colors somewhere, but, I guess I come across them someday.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,CR. I enjoy tying almost as much as fishing. Got started trout fishing while I was working in AR and was loving it! Still tie 'em when I can, but mostly jigs now since trout are too far north. Tight lines to ya!