Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secret Weapons ...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Secret Weapons ...

What are some of the new baits/things that you are going to try, in the upcoming year ?

Me, I'm going to try using:

1)FnF rig for pre-spawn Crappie
    2)"rattling bobber"
    3)Flash-Trix 3" Emerald Minnow

Here's the Flash-Trix (one of the closest Brook Silverside imitations I've seen):

O.K. ... SO - what are some of your "Secret Weapons" gonna be ?? ....cp

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Where can those be ordered? They are some pretty awesome looking little crappie busters! I wouldnt mind trying some of them myself.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the FNF rig?
    When in doubt, set the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on tying my own weapons. I will not allow my love for Crappie fishing to cause me to go too commercial. Bass fishing is an expensive hobby. I don't want to see me doing the same for Crappie. Too many gadgets and lures make the tackle box too cluttered. I keep a small box for jigs, one for plain hooks, weights and bobbers. Another for plastics and cranks. All three boxs together take up very little space. My ice chest takes up the most space. Pappy, I am going to tie some jigs soon, that I believe will entice a more aggressive bite. When I do, I will send you a few at no charge so you can test them for yourself. I've never sold a jig, but, have taken a donation towards the materials and shipping costs. If I only sent about 10 of them, it would not warrant any kind of donation. The only thing I would ask is that if they catch some nice fish, you stick a feather in my cap and post a pic of them. That's a good looking plastic you have pictured. I found some christmas tinsel that mimicks that color that I plan to use with some jigs. The color actually changes depending on how the light hits it. I can't wait to tie a few and test them. It looks as if the spawn for the ultra slabs is going to start around here in about mid February. I plan to post many pics of 2-4lb Crappie. Early spring and spring are the only times of the year I can locate this size of fish. I spend the rest of the year hunting them. Someday I might be able to figure that out.
    Secret weapons? I consider myself a secret weapon when it comes to the almighty Crappie!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boy, that sure looks good.

I take it that minnow doesn't have an imbedded jig body (since I don't see an eye sticking out) like the Storm plastics? What type of jig would you use? What about a weighted hook rigged "Texiposed" like you would with a bass or walleye plastic?

It's been so long since we've gone fishing, we'd probably throw rocks if we saw a fish. ;-) - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Default weapons??

pipe bombs count?.........no seriously.... my best weapon will be my eyes and ears....i may have a chance to team up with a seasond vetran crappie stalker and i'm gonna learn all i can....

Post Thanks / Like

FnF rig is a float and fly rig. Works great on suspended fish.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    Where can those be ordered? They are some pretty awesome looking little crappie busters! I wouldnt mind trying some of them myself.
    Gabowman .... check this out : http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csc10.htm
    And they ain't no dime store plastic bait either .... $8/10pk

I purchased mine from the local tackle shop ... I'm hoping to do well enough with them, that I can convince the company to make some in slightly smaller sizes :D ...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    I take it that minnow doesn't have an imbedded jig body (since I don't see an eye sticking out) like the Storm plastics? What type of jig would you use? What about a weighted hook rigged "Texiposed" like you would with a bass or walleye plastic?

It's been so long since we've gone fishing, we'd probably throw rocks if we saw a fish. ;-) - Roberta
    No, Roberta ... these do not come pre-rigged with a hook or jighead. They are designed for "drop-shot" style fishing, but would work with most any style crappie jighead that was big enough to handle it (it's 3" long and about the diameter of a pencil, though slightly flattened on the sides). The plastic feels more dense than a normal "plastic" grub ... so I don't know if texas rigging or light line would work well with them. I plan on using a weedless ball head jig, of various weights, to determine which gives the best action & rate of fall.
    I may, also, do some "surgery" on one of them ... and see if I can get a ribbon of silver material embedded in the clear plastic (to make it even more closely represent a Brook Silverside). But, at $0.80 apiece ... I'm not going to "experiment", TOO MUCH, with them ...LOL!!
    You might be able to use a Charlie Brewer Slider jighead, and "texpose" the hook, since they have a wide gapped hook. I like the looks of the Storm lures ... but, that big honkin hook it comes with, would require some stout equipment to "set" it with ... LOL!! I may even consider cutting the "head/eye" section off, and replacing it with a Teezur or Crappie Magic jighead (with "eyes") ... but, that would most likely happen with one that was "torn up" (from jighead insertion or extended use).
    I probably won't be using these "trix" minnows, at my local Crappie holes (where the average size is 9-11") ... but, may give them a go down in TN, where I can expect the fish to run a little larger. ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Keep me in mind, Reaper ...

I'd love to fieldtest your "weapons" !! PM me whenever they are ready, and I'll give you my address. And, Oh Yes ... I will most certainly post pics of catches made on them !! I'd be more than happy to do so ! ......... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast