Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float & Fly rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Float & Fly rods

What rods do you use for F&F fishing? Length, action and kind of handle. I probably have a rod that would work already. I want this rod to be used for Small mouth fishing also.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Oldwun ....

Quote Originally Posted by oldwun View Post
    What rods do you use for F&F fishing? Length, action and kind of handle. I probably have a rod that would work already. I want this rod to be used for Small mouth fishing also.
    Though I don't fish the FnF method very often (for Crappie), and for Smallies even less often .... when I do fish this method, I use a BnM Jim Duckworth Bass/Crappie FnF rod. (the one on the right in this ad : BNM Fishing ) It's an 8ft 2pc with short cork handle & a changeable counter weight system on the butt end of the handle. I fieldtested this rod for BnM, pre-market release, so I may be a little biased on it :p but it's been a good rod. It's all but taken over the jig casting duties of my 7' Sam Heaton Signature Series. :D

The newer version (on the left in that ad) comes in 9' & 10' with a longer Tenn style cork handle, & floating reel grip rings. Most of the FnF guru's that I know, opt for the longer rods ... usually nothing shorter than a 9' rod.

The BnM FnF rods are IM6 graphite with a parabolic bend (bends evenly thru most of the length of the rod). Guides are ceramic core inserts. Handles are cork.

I'm currently fieldtesting a new line of rods, known as the ESP Series. ESP Rods - Stowmaster Inc.
    The one I'm testing, that could be used as a FnF rod, is the 9' Power Jig. Here's a pic of the handle :

But ... this pic is not of the 9' rod's handle ... the 9' rod handle has a longer Poodle tail cork section on the butt end (actually about 3-4 times longer than the one in this picture).

The ESP rods are IM6 graphite with a fast "speed" taper (bend is quick on the tip third of the length). Guides are 1 ceramic gathering guide, & the rest are Chromium SS guides. Handles are graphite, with blank going thru several alloy vibration discs inside the handle. This patent pending system is called VAT ... vibration amplification technology.

I haven't had the rod in action, yet ... so I can't report on it with regards to how it fishes. But, overall, from what I can see/feel, it looks to be a pretty nice setup. I'll know more about the rods I'm fieldtesting (6'6" Power Lite & 9' Power Jig) after this weekend.

I do have a 5ft ESP rod, which I fieldtested as a prototype (years ago) ... and it's become my #1 dock shooting rod. The handle on it looks like this :

Glad to see you're feeling up to challenging the Slabs & them 'ol Brown fish

.... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappiepappy

I have looked at both of those B&M rods. I think I will take a Pflueger President reel I have and see how it feels. The DW rod felt funny in my hand with no reel attached. Maybe it is diff with the reel. The other longer handle rod however felt pretty good. I do love the tug of them brown fish for sure. For crappie I have tried several methods but I do like to feel the hit so I am kind of changing how I fish. Numbers are not that important to me. I am going to do some dock shooting this year for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

oldwun,
    check on you tube, there is a couple of videos on this. Might help you a little.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Olswun, I'm kinda out of touch these days. Glad to see you up and runnin for the spring activities. Now I wanna hear bout some fish!
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the 8.5' Bass Pro Microlite Float n Fly rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Default deathb4disco

Thanks for the tip on the BPS rod. I just looked up that rod and it looks like something I might buy. I had not seen that rod advertised so I assume it is a new rod. The 8 1/2 looks to be the one I may buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip on the BPS rod. I just looked up that rod and it looks like something I might buy. I had not seen that rod advertised so I assume it is a new rod. The 8 1/2 looks to be the one I may buy.
    I have the last year or two models in an eight foot, eightfoot six, and the ninefoot six, and I like them all so far, Ive used them bluegill, crappie, and bassfishing and the have done well.

Post Thanks / Like

The rod's been out a couple of years -- not sure why they don't plug it more. It works great.

I took that very rod on a guided trout float trip. I cast the F&F all day and caught a bunch of trout. The guide was very impressed with the rod. He wanted to know where he could get one for some of his clients who did not fly fish. When I told him I got it on sale for $30, he was floored. (He's used to fishing with $400 fly rods.)

Post Thanks / Like

I got a BnM Float n Fly for $20 bucks from tackle shop near relatives places in SC. Its the 9 footer with sliding reel seat. I dont float n fish fish at all. I use it for minnow dunking, spinning with lures,jigging, and even surf fishing. It is setup with a Penn 420 Sg filled with 6lb fireline crystal. Caught every fish from the Appalachin mountains to the Atlantic Ocean; rainbow trout, brooke trout, chubs, gills, redbreast sunfish, crappie, green carp, brown carp, spotted carp, stripers, blue cats, channel cats, white and yellow perch, flounder, speckled trout, whiting, stingrays, skates, dogfish,
    Next species i want to catch on it are walleyes, red drum, and snapper blues
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast