Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A GREAT cause!

Post Thanks / Like

Default A GREAT cause!

My name is Matt Willis, and I am a youth minister in Illinois. Well, I have a situation that I was wondering if anyone would want to help with. I have been helped in the past (with the help of some very nice people in Georgia) with making a week-long fishing camp for inner city kids happen. That is still going now, twice a summer, and has been for the past 4 years.

Well, here is my new project that I didn't know if anyone would like to help with. There is a Children's home for troubled/problem/abandoned kids called Oblong Christian Children's Home, in Oblong, Illinois. I work a TON with this ministry, and have a great relationship with these kids. Well, my love for the outdoors is wearing off on them, and I have taken this one step farther, but have gone about as far as I can by myself. I was able to get them a boat, and have been working with a house parent there to get it ready for "crappie season". I got them a 16-foot tri-hull with a strong running 65hp Mercury and a small trolling motor. I have spent as much on them as I can, and they have NO INCOME for this type of a project...and we all know what fishing and outdoors can do for people. It is a VERY effective tool to get kids to open up and build relationships.

SO, HERE IS MY QUESTION...does anyone have anything they would like to donate to this project? I have given poles, reels, the boat, a couple of oars, etc. Would any of you all like to give to this cause? It can be anything from a package of jigs, to a fishfinder (that is an ultimate one that would be awesome...whether new or old). Or, if any of you would be willing to "guide" them sometime on a lake and give them an experience they will never forget.

I'm not one to ask for things like this, but these kids have nothing (including families that love them enough to deal with them at their own homes, shipping them off to live somewhere else). Some of the stories behind these kids would break your heart, and something like this would mean the world to them. God's love is free...and this is a chance to show them love they usually don't get to experience.

PM me, or respond to this thread. Crappie season is coming, and I have kids asking if I will take them. THEY need your help.

God bless...

mrwillis

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lowrance fishfinder I would donate. Its in the box and like new. Give us an adress and I will send it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Address is...

I knew people would want to help with this...IT REALLY IS AN AWESOME THING!

You can ship it to me:

Church address is:
    Central Christian Church
    Attn: Matt Willis
    303 Buchanan Dr
    Lawrenceville, Illinois 62439

I just look at it like this...we all have stuff laying around that will either end up in a garage sale, in the trash, or just forgot about because we either have TOO MUCH, or we have new stuff. No matter what it is, I guarantee you it will not go to waste, and even your worst stuff will be the best they have, considering THEY HAVE NOTHING!
    Last edited by mrwillis; 04-08-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

MrWillis
    Some of the guys at the hospital are gonna clean out their tackle boxes. My wife will get it in the mail along with the sonar unit this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a retired fishing sales rep. Got rid of my stuff years ago, but, I know for a fact that your big comanies love things like this. Just make a very good form letter explaining what your doing and put it in the mail. You will be surprised with the4 response. The factories I delt with that I know will respond are Zebco, Hummingbird, Gene Larew, Gerber, and Strike King. I only costs you a stamp. If I can round anything up I will send it off to you. Good luck!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

MrWillis,
    I will look through my stuff and see what kind of I care package I can get in the mail. Bless your soul for helping these kids. Some folks would just turn their shoulder and run but you were sent there instead. I hope you get these kids out and let them feel what has been created for them.Thanks for your gift to me.........Ifish

Fisherman's Prayer
    God grant that I may live to fish
    For another shining day,
    But when my final cast is made
    I then most humbly pray,
    When nestled in your landing net
    As I lay peacefully asleep,
    You'll smile at me and judge
    That I'm "good enough to keep."
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from a weekend retreat at a church camp and running the overnighter for Jr Highers...had an awesome weekend, but still had this fishing project on my mind. It is awesome seeing that there are some that are willing to help out. Here is to hoping that many have the same "generous bug" that is needed with this type of project.

mrwillis

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Matt,
    I am suprised you are not getting a better response from our members.I believe a lot of C.commers are out fishing and spring break is going on here. Maybe you can take some pictures and post some progress reports on the boat and maybe some of the kids if that is appropriate. I found a bunch of jigs and they will be in the mail Monday.You might post on the jig swap section and get some kind of auction going on.Best of luck and I hope some more CrappiedotCommers will step up to the plate and help these kids out. I know from my own experience how important it is to be helped out.I had a pretty rough childhood and some people helped me out when I was going down the wrong path and they made a huge difference in my life.God Bless. Come on fellers?? We can do great things together!!
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, as soon as I can get them together, I will send you a sack full of jigs. God will bless this effort. Anytime you are messing around with a bunch of kids, it's not a chore but always a blessing.

Suffer the little children to come unto me.................

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to post some pics of the boat, and will do so. However, I won't be able to post pictures of the kids due to legal issues. These are "placed" kids, whether due to home situations, bad decisions, etc. And, there are privacy issues that cannot be crossed.

But, I have some pics of the boat, and I will post them as soon as I figure out how.

Thanks to the people that are running with this. And, I don't feel this is these are the only people that will help. So, thanks in advance.

mrwillis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast