Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 1 Piece vs. 2 Piece...

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1 Piece vs. 2 Piece...

And I'm not talking swimsuits! :D

I prefer a 1 piece for reasons that may be fact or fiction. The obvious one would be the likelyhood of the end section being disconnected from the handle end. I would also "think" that you would have a better sense of feel if something continued on, instead of being interupted by a connection. I do like UL poles, but sometimes it's work to fish all day, especially if you have to fight wind. I seem to have my best luck with L action rods as long as their 6'6" or 7'.

When I look around at the people that tournament fish, I see alot of longer rods. I understand anytime you're pushin jigs it's an importance, but other than that?

Post Thanks / Like

I did some vibration testing for MRI units several years ago. Vibrations of unbelievable small amounts would drive these units crazy. I took 2 UL All Stars 1 1 piece and 1 2 piece. I put the probe on the handle. We actually took a feather and drew it across the rod tips. The amount of difference was nill. I am sure there are some rods that would not test that way. At that time All stars were excellent rods. I have over 20 of the old rods. What does all that prove? To me it means it doesn't make any diff.
    IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

i use my long rods for almost everything....pushing jigs,casting (fishing deep with a fixed cork) but mostly reaching deep into brush and not having to get the boat right up on the brush...i can tell the diff. in the feeling of a 1pc and 2pc...but i do carry rods in my boat from 5ft - 14ft....90% of the time no matter what im doing i have a 11ft outlaw in my hand
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the one peice. The 2 peice seems to have a dead spot in them. Maybe it's just me but I like a 1 peice 6 footer for all my fishing. I suppose if I were fishing like some of you people do I might go with a long pole but casting just seems like to much work when I use a long pole. The smaller pole works a lot better for since most all of my fishing is either done with a slip bobber or casting jigs and tails into submerged brush. That plus I hardly ever stand up in the boat I have if you do your going to get knocked out by the water skiers and larger boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldwun View Post
    I did some vibration testing for MRI units several years ago. Vibrations of unbelievable small amounts would drive these units crazy. I took 2 UL All Stars 1 1 piece and 1 2 piece. I put the probe on the handle. We actually took a feather and drew it across the rod tips. The amount of difference was nill.
    Interesting results.

Most of my rods are pretty long, so 2, 3, or 4-piece is the only way to go. Other than ice rods and short, UL rods, I think the only guys clamoring for 1-piece rods are the bass guys. Of course, they're all using rods under 8' that will easily fit in their rod lockers.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie51 View Post
    I like a 1 peice 6 footer for all my fishing. I suppose if I were fishing like some of you people do I might go with a long pole but casting just seems like to much work when I use a long pole. The smaller pole works a lot better for since most all of my fishing is either done with a slip bobber or casting jigs and tails into submerged brush.
    For casting jigs, I do like a shorter rod: 7' max.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot has to do with the diameter of the rod at the ferrule location and the quality of the rod. I used to fly fish a lot. All of those rods are small diameter and usually 3 piece rods. They are way more sensitive than our rods. I agree the 1 piece would be a preferred rod but like the previous poster said the length of the rod is usually the determining factor.

Post Thanks / Like

We use alot of 7-7-6" and 8-0' rods, all 1pc. they fish great but shipping anything over 90" you get stuck with oversize charges! The new model rods on the market with slimfit ferrules and advanced carbon graphite produce a rod with no deadspots. I dont think long muti-piece rods are as noticeable as U.L's up to 7-0' rods.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"