Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: newbie introduction

linusb Guest

Default newbie introduction

I'm a newbie angler in Lexington, SC right near Lake Murray. Just picked up an older McKee Craft and looking to start some crappie fishing in the next few months. Seems like a friendly crowd here so looking forward to any tips that I can get. I know very little about fishing and boating!

So far, I have a rod/reel combo and some crappie jigs that the Walmart guy recommended. He seemed to know what he was talking about. Not sure how to rig my line and what technique to use once I do! :o My wife is lurking around here as well and she is excited about fishing too.

-Linus

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Crappie.com Linus.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

good luck on the new adventure . if you have a older boat it will need a little work now and then . go to this site for advise and help . dock is good and has a good repair site and will help in any probablem you have
    http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
    for fishing this site is the best crappie site i have found in the last 5 years . . git the crappie magazine for some good reading . i have a stack in my bath room by the john :D . have a few in the camper . . that is all you need to fish . . go to your state forum on here for lockle info .
    papasage
    so ga. usa
    retired and now i will always fish

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Linus, welcome aboard! Be sure to check out and read all of the "articles" (check top of this screen) posted here. There is some valuable info there for a first time crappie fisherman. Also, do as I have done and just jump right in and start asking questions. :D There's some fine folk here just ready to help ya out.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome - and good fishing to you
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Linus..you already have the best thing you need to enjoy fishing..and that is your wife looking forward to it too. My wife is my fishing partner and it is a good way to spend time together. Plus..if she likes it too..you never get in trouble for wanting to go fishing instead of doing chores!!!!! Good luck with the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Iam still a newbie too.Just jump in and start having fun. Their are great people on this board that dont mind sharing their exsperience with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and good luck. I have met some fine folks on here and have never hit a brick wall as far as info. I'm sure the S.C. Boys and Gals will treat you right.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Tn.!!Your at the right spot-you can get lots of info. here!!You"ll find it and time on the water to be your best teacher!! GOOD LUCK!!!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

S10CHEVY is online now Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New boater?

Quote Originally Posted by linusb
    I'm a newbie angler in Lexington, SC right near Lake Murray. Just picked up an older McKee Craft and looking to start some crappie fishing in the next few months. Seems like a friendly crowd here so looking forward to any tips that I can get. I know very little about fishing and boating!

So far, I have a rod/reel combo and some crappie jigs that the Walmart guy recommended. He seemed to know what he was talking about. Not sure how to rig my line and what technique to use once I do! :o My wife is lurking around here as well and she is excited about fishing too.

-Linus
    Linus, if this is your first boat, I would suggest that you take a boater's Safety Course, and have your wife take it too. Taking the time now to do this will save you heartaches on the water. It isn't fun to be pulled over by the water patrol, and being fined for violating rules. You can also have your boat checked out by the Boating Commision and they will tell you, what needs to be done to it if anything. If it is in compliance, they will give you a decal to display on the boat. Welcome to crappie.com, and may you have full baskets. Keith