Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: what does catching more males mean?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what does catching more males mean?

I'm just trying to figure out what stage the Crappie are in and what I can expect from them next few weeks.

I have owned and fished my boat house for 6 weeks now.

The first 6 weeks were all about the same. Lake was high at start slowly draining off with my depth going from 20' to 13'. I was catching mostly large females from the beginning, actually hardly anything that didn't make 10". Eggs have been pretty tight the entire time and close by bank fisherman haven't started catching them yet.

This week for the first time with water back to normal and temps rising significantly over last 6 weeks I got mostly males today. There are also more undersized fish, which are probably males. There are also more Black Crappie showing up in the mess. Another interesting pattern all the keepers caught on minnows. 6 weeks ago only thing I would catch them on is jigs and that has slowly flip-flopped where last few weeks about 50-50 and I guess this week 100% in favor of minnows.

So I'm just looking for experts to explain how past 6 weeks mostly females in 13-20' of water and then now mostly males in 13'.

I know the spawn is upcoming, but when and how long will it last?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The early females were there getting some food to help with the up coming spawn. The young males that you are catchibng are starting to move towards the spawning grounds. The larger males will move in and chase the smaller males out. The bigger the males the better the spawning nest area. Once I catch a few large males I'll return to the same spot in a couple of days and fresh males will move onto the spot. The water temps need to be in the lower 60's to the upper 60's for the actual spawn. But anytime the the fish are up close to the bank the spawn can't be to far behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a good explanation sparkie, very good

Post Thanks / Like

Not an expert...but as far as the fish caught from the jig to shiner ratio, you have to figure in what is available , abundant and preferred for your fish to eat.
    I always fish with tubes up until a certain time, then I switch to a shiner imitation like the Bobby Garlands.
    If you walk a few shallow water ponds around here you'll see shiners, potbellies and silversides lumped up in the side grass...spook 'em away from the bank and you're gonna see surface ruffle. Not sure, but I believe it's hatch time for baitfish here. If I was a sacalait, I'd rather eat the more plentiful baitfish than an insect, grub, etc.
    Although a good crawfish imitator will work just as good, around here, right now.
    Just my guess.

Adam