Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Newbie with a question: Did I miss the spawn?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie with a question: Did I miss the spawn?

Although this is my first time posting I have been reading your wisdom and joking around for over a year.

I fish a lake that is about 6 or 7 acres, depth average 3-5ft with and a drop off to 20-35 ft that is about the size of a football field, caught some really nice crappie there last year in the shallows. Caught a few this year when the water temp was about 59, two weeks ago went back yesterday water temp is now 70 picked up one keeper and 5 smaller males in the shallows. Caught 5nice bass on my jigs. Did I miss the spawn?

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't think so. They do tend to spawn a little earlier in the smaller lakes, especially the more shallow ones, as the water temps warm more quickly. But even if they have been spawning for a little while on that lake, you should still be able to find them in the bushes.

Good to hear from you. Welcome!!! Would love to have you join us that the WTCC meeting next Thursday.

Post Thanks / Like

While I dont ahve much experience in smaller waters outside of oxbows, I do not thin you have seen the end of the spawn. I do my best spawn fishing after the water gets hotter than the experts say they spawn. Mostly males, aggesive, protecting the fry I aassume. In my opinion crappie also consider light cycle too when they spawn. There may be a big difference in 12 hours of light vs 13-14 hours of light. My crappie have nopt moved in thick yet and my area was 69 degrees recently. Last year we could not buy a bite at 67 degrees but it cooled to 58 and it was on for a few days. The crappie still ahve to migrate and go through thier patterns. Just because the water gets warm doesnt mean they are going to move up instantly. I think maybe when the females determine when to drop the eggs the males will come in thick to gaurd them. If the females are not ready yet, it does the males no good to be up there thick. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for your answers. I am on leave for the next two weeks and was disappointed that I may have missed them. The rain and cooler weather may also bring down the water temperature for the next couple of days.

I will try to attend a meeting in the future, next week my oldest graduates Navy bootcamp so I will not be able to attend.