Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: spawning beds

Post Thanks / Like

Default spawning beds

Do crappie go to the same beds year after year to spawn?
    Bill

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Zap ... IMHO

I doubt they go to the same exact "beds" .... but, they might go to the same "bedding areas/banks". They pretty much follow a cycle thru the year, which would put them back in the same general area, each spawning season. Now, there may be times when the water level isn't conducive to spawning on that bank ... and if available/suitable cover isn't at the required depth on that bank, when the other conditions are right ... they may venture on to new habitats.
    I say they don't go to the same "beds", since the males may not "make" those beds in the same place each year. OK - I'm splitting hairs, a little ... but, my point is - not all of last years males will be there, this Spring -- the cover they used, last year, may not be there -- the water level or conditions may not be right -- and the females may not be the same bunch as last year (minus those already caught, plus those just becoming mature enough to spawn). And, there's the well known fact that female Crappie do not drop all their eggs in one "bed" ... a survival instinct to create gene pool diversity, and to keep all their hatch from possibly being destroyed (should something happen to the male, or the bed).
    But, the saving grace of all that is -- if the spot has suitable cover, water clarity, water temp, & stable water levels .... Crappie will come to it, even if it isn't the same general bunch that used it last Spring. ..........cp

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

some here eay crappie don`t bed . they lay their eggs on roots and limbs .have seen artickles on theis and undecided . what do you think grappiepappy
    i don`t see how they could go to the same place as the water wouldn`t be the same level and temp and clearty . . like crappiepappy the may go to the samd general aera .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    I doubt they go to the same exact "beds" .... but, they might go to the same "bedding areas/banks". They pretty much follow a cycle thru the year, which would put them back in the same general area, each spawning season. Now, there may be times when the water level isn't conducive to spawning on that bank ... and if available/suitable cover isn't at the required depth on that bank, when the other conditions are right ... they may venture on to new habitats.
    I say they don't go to the same "beds", since the males may not "make" those beds in the same place each year. OK - I'm splitting hairs, a little ... but, my point is - not all of last years males will be there, this Spring -- the cover they used, last year, may not be there -- the water level or conditions may not be right -- and the females may not be the same bunch as last year (minus those already caught, plus those just becoming mature enough to spawn). And, there's the well known fact that female Crappie do not drop all their eggs in one "bed" ... a survival instinct to create gene pool diversity, and to keep all their hatch from possibly being destroyed (should something happen to the male, or the bed).
    But, the saving grace of all that is -- if the spot has suitable cover, water clarity, water temp, & stable water levels .... Crappie will come to it, even if it isn't the same general bunch that used it last Spring. ..........cp
    Super good reply as usual crappiepappy!!I'd say you pretty well summed it up!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think Pappy pretty well covered it.. I've just one thing to add. I'm going to do my best to make sure several dozen don't make it back in the spring of 2007.hehe

Post Thanks / Like

no

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by izzysfishin
    I think Pappy pretty well covered it.. I've just one thing to add. I'm going to do my best to make sure several dozen don't make it back in the spring of 2007.hehe
    Me too.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Well Papasage ...

I think they "bed" wherever the conditions are suitable & available. If there is no "wood" or "weeds" for them, they may well bed in the soft muck bottom or pea gravel banks ... out of necessity, if not by choice.
    It's my understanding that research shows, that they do actually fan out a "bed" ... when conditions allow or dictate. But, a wide open nest/bed is hard to defend ... so, when "other" cover is available, and in the right depth/temp range, I think they bed there to allow for a more defensible position.
    What your "homeboys" may be experiencing, is catching their fish from a pre-spawn feeding area, or from a "staging" area. Since not all of them go "to the bed" at the same time - one can sometimes find them in different "stages" of the deed, at the same time. And when you start catching them from one certain area or type of cover ... you may not continue to search for those "other" fish, that are in a different "stage".
    That's just IMHO, though ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

At A Bp Seminar I Chatted With One Of The Speakers And He Said
    The Crappie All Don't Spawn At The Same Time In A Lake Because
    Different Parts Of The Lake Warm Up At Different Times. He Suggested Starting At The Shallow Or Warmest End Of The Lake
    And Then Follow To The Deeper Portions As That Water Warmed
    Up. I Don't Usually Fish For Spawning Fish, Do Mostly Nightstalking
    But His Comments Seemed To Make Sense. Just A Thought.
    Regards
    Chef

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chef
    At A Bp Seminar I Chatted With One Of The Speakers And He Said
    The Crappie All Don't Spawn At The Same Time In A Lake Because
    Different Parts Of The Lake Warm Up At Different Times. He Suggested Starting At The Shallow Or Warmest End Of The Lake
    And Then Follow To The Deeper Portions As That Water Warmed
    Up. I Don't Usually Fish For Spawning Fish, Do Mostly Nightstalking
    But His Comments Seemed To Make Sense. Just A Thought.
    Regards
    Chef
    Chef,I"ve found that to be true. We can fish different areas of the lake and find spawning fish for several weeks!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com