Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Rods

I finally got around to ordering my free B'n'M rod from the Spring Fling. It was hard tring to decide so I ordered 2 and sent in a signed check to pay for the second one...they gave me the higher priced rod and charged me for the lower price one. That was nice of them

We ordered the SP65G and the SS5.5 .. I played around with the SP65G in the driveway seeing how it would work shooting some 1/16 oz jigs. I wasn't sure if it would have enough back bone to do shooting with.

I was real pleased as how well it worked. I know the people driving by thought I was crazy setting on the copping by the driveway shooting jig at the tree 35 feet away. I hit that tree in the area 2 to 3 feet up 18 out of 20 times.. I really supprised myself....

Then I thought I would get smart and see if I could shoot the jig into the open trunk of the car. Not quite as good 16 out of 20 times... But the rod does seem to be doing what I want.

I haven't tried the SS5.5 yet. I don't like the slide rings to hold on the reel on, but I'll figure out something on that. So I've got 2 new play toys to take to Watts Bar in a weeK. But I'm not replacing my Shimano rod, I'm use to it and it's broken in and well trained on how to catch crappie and bluegills.
    Gerald
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't leave

Quote Originally Posted by gcromer
    I finally got around to ordering my free B'n'M rod from the Spring Fling. It was hard tring to decide so I ordered 2 and sent in a signed check to pay for the second one...they gave me the higher priced rod and charged me for the lower price one. That was nice of them

We ordered the SP65G and the SS5.5 .. I played around with the SP65G in the driveway seeing how it would work shooting some 1/16 oz jigs. I wasn't sure if it would have enough back bone to do shooting with.

I was real pleased as how well it worked. I know the people driving by thought I was crazy setting on the copping by the driveway shooting jig at the tree 35 feet away. I hit that tree in the area 2 to 3 feet up 18 out of 20 times.. I really supprised myself....

Then I thought I would get smart and see if I could shoot the jig into the open trunk of the car. Not quite as good 16 out of 20 times... But the rod does seem to be doing what I want.

I haven't tried the SS5.5 yet. I don't like the slide rings to hold on the reel on, but I'll figure out something on that. So I've got 2 new play toys to take to Watts Bar in a weeK. But I'm not replacing my Shimano rod, I'm use to it and it's broken in and well trained on how to catch crappie and bluegills.
    Gerald
    the Shimano at home next week. I want to take a look at it and cast it a couple of times. I'm a big fan of Shimano reels but I have been using them on Bass Pro Micro Lite rods.

Take care & I will see you and Betty next week.....
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Gerald ...

on the "slide rings" deal ... I would put "electrical" tape over them. Position the reel where it is most balanced and feels right to you - slide the rings over the feet of the reel base - then slowly wrap around the rings/reel base/handle. Even on some of my spinning outfits that have a screw-down reel seat - I still wrap them in elec tape. Doing so, slowly, insures that you get a tight wrap and keeps the "wrinkles" out of the overlapping of the tape. This makes it smoother and more comfortable in your grip - plus, it is "insurance" that the reel will stay put and not slip off or slide out of position.

See you two next week ......... luck2ya .........cp

Post Thanks / Like

crappiepappy - don't you have problems in the summer months (warmer/hot weather) w/ the electrical tape getting sticky?

I had used the same "fix" for the straight corked handled rod(s), but I couldn't put up with the sticky hands after handling them for an extended amount of time. BPS carries a rod handle wrap that is slightly thicker then electrical tape, adheres the same way (just wrap and stick), but doesn't bleed its' glue when hot. This also acts as a cushion handle for those long days when the fish aren't cooperating..........

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Here's what I do. Go to your local hardware store a get some 'shrink-tube' material large enough to go over the handle and reel. Get the type that is used for battery cables cause it is thicker. Find your 'sweet-spot' on your rod where you want the reel. Slide the shrink-tube over the handle and reel(2 pieces). Heat it up till it shrinks. Wala!!!! It's there till you want to remove it. No mess,, no fuss. Hope this helps! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple rods with Tennessee grips and have been using a dab of RTV between the slides and reels. That works good, but I like the heat shrink idea. I'll have to try it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Zig ........

I really don't fish the hot Summer days often enough to have the "sticky" problem ... though I am aware of this happening with elec. tape. I generally put on new tape every year. I switch reels onto different rods, at times, and this necessitates changing the tape ... but even those outfits that don't get "switched", get new tape yearly.
    The "shrinkwrap" idea has merit, and if I were having trouble with the elec tape glue bleeding out - I'd certainly entertain the idea of using it ! .....cp

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Bass Pro in Charlotte this afternoon to pick up some jig bodies that had changed color over the summer. They were protected from the sun, but the heat must have done it. It only effected a couple of colors and not the others..

I saw the wrap that Big Zig talked about and should have picked up some. It was about $15. I have some heat shrink tubing and I need to check out the size I need...

Another story. I was looking at reels and found a Shimano that felt real good and told the sales lady that I would take one.. She started to look and then said I think this one is a discountied model but I have the newer one and it'll cost X dollars more.... I asked why it was on display. "Well we don't have the box for it anymore." So I'll take the display with no box and she informed me that she couldn't sell it.

I quized her more about having a discountued model and don't have any in stock and can't sell it or even take it off display either. WHY !!!

Would like to have the new model sir, ....No MAM, You just lost a sale..
    It sure did feel smooth.

I hate to go to a tackle shop, I've always got to buy stuff..
    Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    I really don't fish the hot Summer days often enough to have the "sticky" problem ... though I am aware of this happening with elec. tape. I generally put on new tape every year. I switch reels onto different rods, at times, and this necessitates changing the tape ... but even those outfits that don't get "switched", get new tape yearly.
    The "shrinkwrap" idea has merit, and if I were having trouble with the elec tape glue bleeding out - I'd certainly entertain the idea of using it ! .....cp
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Gerald ....

you would think that they would like to get that d/c'd reel off their hands ... unless they were using it in the old "bait and switch" technique. I think I would have asked to talk to a manager ... maybe even asked for contact information to Johnny Morris, himself . It doesn't bode well for BPS to have a item on the shelf, with a price tag on it, and not have it "really" be for sale.
    Do you remember what model it was and what the price tag on it was ? Maybe I can dig around and find you one. I passed up a chance to get a slightly used Shimano Spirex 2000 for $40 ... but I may check to see if it is still on the "consignment shelf", at my local tackle shop, next time I'm in there. I already have two ... one is on my 7ft Bionic Blade, that I use mostly for topwater Bassin' ... the other is on my "dock shooting" rod , a 6ft Browning/Lews with graphite TN handle. It isn't much for "casting" a small Crappie jig ... but it has enough stiffness of action to "shoot" a tiny jig a long way back up under a dock ....LOL!! And the large capacity spool on the Spirex allows for a long dock "shot" - without using up 1/2 of the line off the reel (like happens on microlite or small UL reels). That translates to less coils in the line, plus the ability to use heavier pound test (if necessary).
    Anyway, if you can't remember the model or can't find it locally ... you're welcome to check out my Shimano's - when you see me at Eden. ........luck2ya .................cp

Post Thanks / Like

I sent a note to the home office. They said they were looking into it and would get back with me.
    Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    you would think that they would like to get that d/c'd reel off their hands ... unless they were using it in the old "bait and switch" technique. I think I would have asked to talk to a manager ... maybe even asked for contact information to Johnny Morris, himself . It doesn't bode well for BPS to have a item on the shelf, with a price tag on it, and not have it "really" be for sale.
    Do you remember what model it was and what the price tag on it was ? Maybe I can dig around and find you one. I passed up a chance to get a slightly used Shimano Spirex 2000 for $40 ... but I may check to see if it is still on the "consignment shelf", at my local tackle shop, next time I'm in there. I already have two ... one is on my 7ft Bionic Blade, that I use mostly for topwater Bassin' ... the other is on my "dock shooting" rod , a 6ft Browning/Lews with graphite TN handle. It isn't much for "casting" a small Crappie jig ... but it has enough stiffness of action to "shoot" a tiny jig a long way back up under a dock ....LOL!! And the large capacity spool on the Spirex allows for a long dock "shot" - without using up 1/2 of the line off the reel (like happens on microlite or small UL reels). That translates to less coils in the line, plus the ability to use heavier pound test (if necessary).
    Anyway, if you can't remember the model or can't find it locally ... you're welcome to check out my Shimano's - when you see me at Eden. ........luck2ya .................cp
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC