Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly line breaking

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly line breaking

I like to use a floating spider to catch bream. I use 6# attatched to floating line with no leader. Sometimes when I set the hook the line breaks. I'm not trying to jerk the fish in the boat it just breaks. Am I just setting the hook too hard? Suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Is the line breaking between the fly line and the #6 lb leader or at the hook?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say from what you posted that the problem is setting too hard. All you have to on a fly rod for brim, trout, crappie or anyother soft-mouthed fish is to raise the rod. You have to practice this in order overcome the habits learned fishing for bass. Fly lines are tough, leaders on the other hand are liable to snap. You can even snap one with to hard a down cast. Poppers are notably easy to break off because of the concave mouth of the lure. Remember, in fly fishing, it is practice, practice, practice. I usually use a 2 lb tippet for brim, perch and trout. It make for more of a challege. If you get into an area that has a lot of perch, you can get a lot of practice real quick. Tight lines buddy.
    If you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy!

Post Thanks / Like

Wait until you feel the weight of the fish before you lift the rod, then lift gently because the fish is already hooked.

Test and change your line frequently if you're breaking fish off.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll set the hook easier. I guess I get too excited watching bulls "sneak up" on the fly and the tension makes me over react. Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Caught these on a black Wooly Booger sinking fly. Private lake so not very hard to catch but still fun.

Post Thanks / Like

good looking fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Those are some nice shellcrackers

Post Thanks / Like

Tenn Tom,
    Where do you fish at? I fished for many years around the West Point Area of the Tenn Tom, Also fished Davis lake and several lakes along the Natchez Trace. Have some friends from Cedar Bluff who fish Lake Chico, which we caught some monster gills and crappie..Sure miss Mississippi fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a buddy that had your same problem setting the hook too hard, finally cured him of it. Looks like you picked up the light touch and the fishies better look out!!!!!!

Fatman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast