Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long lining and HI Viz line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long lining and HI Viz line

hey fellas, question about HI-viz line, we long line quite often (one of the few in my neck of the woods who do), I liked the idea of using HI-viz line to help keep lines seperated a little easier, the water I usally troll has a slight stain to it or semi clear, usally pull bandits or jigs. is there a need for a clear or fluro carbon leader? I have zero experience with HI-viz line so not real sure, any info from you trollers out there would be great. thanks in advance, God bless yall.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

hi vis tied direct works for me. the fish don't seem to care what color the line is, just fisherman.
    Yodibuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I use Hi-Viz Power Pro and other braids because I wanted to know which I like best and will not take any off since I don't want to waste it so will keep up the experiment for a good while I s8uspect, LOL!

I have some with mono and some with braid in different colors. I can tell you that In do think in water that's pretty clear that sometimes they will get what is called line shy and then mono is what I use. Why I have both kinds ready to go and even have extra spools I can change if I want to like that.

I still think I like Power Pro Yellow best, but just my opinion.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi Vis Yellow

Hi Vis Lines become clear under water. Water blocks out the sun' rays that cause the line to be colored.

I sell Mr Crappie and Viscous. I like the Viscous because it is made in the USA in Dora, Alabama.

Monk Monk's Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Try half of your rods with mono or fluoro and the other half with hi vis, if the clear mono or fluoro rods catch more fish you may need a clear leader if you're going to use the hi vis. I use the Berkley Transition fluoro, hi vis gold in sunlight and clear underwater.

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember that flurocarbon sinks and your jids would run a little deeper and that could get you hung up. I don't think that the line color matters when trolling because it is more of a reaction bite.

Durham County... Falls Lake & Jordan are my home lakes
    Post Thanks / Like

We use hi-vis and catch em like crazy and it sure makes it much easier to see your lines to try to avoid tangles.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks You All!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    I use Hi-Viz Power Pro and other braids because I wanted to know which I like best and will not take any off since I don't want to waste it so will keep up the experiment for a good while I s8uspect, LOL!

I have some with mono and some with braid in different colors. I can tell you that In do think in water that's pretty clear that sometimes they will get what is called line shy and then mono is what I use. Why I have both kinds ready to go and even have extra spools I can change if I want to like that.

I still think I like Power Pro Yellow best, but just my opinion.

Skip
    I used power pro braid, but switched to mono. I feel like with the stretch in mono when im really burning (speed) I get better hook up rates, maybe its mental ( I have been accused of being mental from time to time) but just seems that way for me. maybe like the stretch acts as a shock absorber, and honestly I change my line after every season (probably another mental defect ) and mono is much more cost efficent

Quote Originally Posted by monkscrappie View Post
    Hi Vis Lines become clear under water. Water blocks out the sun' rays that cause the line to be colored.

I sell Mr Crappie and Viscous. I like the Viscous because it is made in the USA in Dora, Alabama.

Monk Monk's Crappie
    yea I noticed the other day it doesent really glow till its out in the sunlight, still hard to over come tying somthing colored like that staright to a lure, but I am gonna make my self. I will look you up this winter for some of the Viscous, got the Mr crappie for this year, but I like the idea of supporting a company that still makes their product in USA

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    Try half of your rods with mono or fluoro and the other half with hi vis, if the clear mono or fluoro rods catch more fish you may need a clear leader if you're going to use the hi vis. I use the Berkley Transition fluoro, hi vis gold in sunlight and clear underwater.
    I have 2 with about 4 foot fluro leaders and the others tied direct, good thought.

thanks for the input Ladies and Gents, long lining in my area just isnt popular, it has produced very well for us post spawn and all through the summer, but no one does it here (matter of fact I have seen one other person do it for crappie) so you guys and gals are a great source of info, I really appreicate all the replies. God bless yall and have a great week.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Just a heads up james, i was playing with the vicious hi-viz the other day out in my neck of the woods. Water was super clear(bait visible nearly 2 feet deep with polarised), and it had no affect on my catch. I was fishing 3 foot deep. Im still trying to convince myself of the hi-viz in clear water issues, and its looking better all the time.
    I really like the vicious panfish line, its all i'll use.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Last time we had what I call line shy was a couple years back and you could see your jig about 4' down even in this part of the lake which is not as clear and some other places. Even just running out a mile or so in the direction of the main lake (main lake is 5 miles away).

As far as mono giving more, that is true and I like to use my rods with more bend/less back bone for that reason. I never troll more than about 1.2 MPH to not exactly burning. I do know that I feel bites that I would never feel on mono. Some time (even the last couple weeks) they hit is so tiny it makes me think was that really a crappie and it was, but felt even smaller than a very small bream. I really feel everyone should use what make them feel good as that is a prime thing and more important than what kind of line you use.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast