Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: bear at Enid

Post Thanks / Like

Default bear at Enid

OK, so my "good buddy" Wannabe wondered where the story went. It's in the MI 'wadin' thread, but I'll re-cap it for ya'll here.

Last Saturday mornin after the rain cleared and it got nice, I put in at Wallace Creek Ramp at Enid, and proceeded directly to the weed flats in the back of Hubbard Creek. I settled in and caught a couple fish, then after three cups of stout coffee and half of an Arturio Feuenta Double Corona, mother nature tapped me on the shoulder. I nosed my boat up to the bank, and 'quickly' stepped me up into the timber about 20 feet. Well, I'm all squatted down, comfortable, feelin real good about myself and gettin my business done, when I looked across the little cove where the pipe line cut goes thru. Lookin back at me and doin basically the same thing I was doin, was a little black bear. Not a Juvie, but still not a full blown adult bore, either. Now, for 5 years my son and I have black bear bow hunted in New Brunswick, Canada, and I am very familiar with black bear and judging their sex, age and weight. I recognized this little feller as a 160-175 bore, about 4-5 years old. We acknowledged each other with a little nod, and he went on his way up the pipe line cut toward the camp sites, and I took care of my -- "paper work" - and went back to fishin. No harm - no foul. Just real interesting. So, if anyone ever asks you, "Does the bear 'squat' in the woods?", you can tell them with 100% certainy that, yes they do, and a feller from Missouri does it with them on occasion.

Before I spoutted off on the web site with this story, and knowin how WB, DD, SATDOC, Torch, Max, Major, and the rest of these yahoos are, I called the Mississippi Dept of Cons. and talked with a young fella named Brad Young. He told me that last year a couple park workers saw a black bear in the same general area of the pipe line cut, about this same time of year, and that some folks were pulled off the side of the road watching him. Now, in New Brunswick, June is prime breeding time for black bears, and I can only assume that this much farther South, it could be gettin bout "that time" in these parts shortly. They really like to hang out around camp sites with all the garbage, and food that people THINK they have securely stored away in their tents or trailers. With just a slight breese a black bear can smell a can of sardines being opened from 3-4 miles away. Trust me, I know first hand. Two years ago, I had one climbin my ladder stand wantin a sammich I had in a zip lock bag stored away in my backpack. My son has the entire experience on video. Way kewl. Ya'll have a nice day and get after them slabs. They bout ready to get 'er done!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote"Ya'll have a nice day and get after them slabs. They bout ready to get 'er done!!"
    U'all be glad that bear knew you wasn't a female and wasn't ready to get 'er done!!
    Good story
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER