Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heading to Rathbun this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heading to Rathbun this weekend

Heading out to Rathbun this weekend,have the crappies turned on yet? Does anybody know the water temp.? Is the lake dirty? I went there last year and the water looked like mud instead of water! Any help that you can offer would be a big help.
    Thanks
    MAtt

Post Thanks / Like

Unless your coming over for other reasons, I'd save your gas. You're about three weeks two early. The lake is up and muddy and we're getting some sevre weather that will have things screwed up for awhile.Water is still cool and the fish are really scattered and unpredictable. Id say wait if you can. PJ

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree with prchjerker. Water clarity is quite muddy, and temperatures are still in the 40's. If you are coming anyway, go to the spillway and pull a jig under a float, buddy caught about a 100 crappie today doing that, with a bonus walleye. He said most were small, under 10" but he did keep his limit and had a couple 14".

The weather will most likely hurt the bite that has been fairly tough anyway. I will be there Sunday none the less, I live but 10 miles away so I am going even if I know it is not going to be good.

Post Thanks / Like

here is a site to keep up on temp and water level at Rathbun.

Rathbun Lake
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will wait a few eeks and see how the water temp. goes. Hopefully the water will clear up as well. THANKS to everyone who replied!
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody go to the lake this weekend? Wondering if things were starting to clear up?
    Crappie Kid

Post Thanks / Like

I was there Sunday. I fished from 7 to 3. I started in 8-14 feet of water, I fished 6-8 feet down. No action. I tried that for 2 1/2 hours. Switched to shallow, no action, but I was on the windy side. I moved to the calm side, north shore, caught 4 instantly in 2 feet of water. 2 were 13 1/2" long about 1lb and 1/4 each.

One under a float, the other 3 trolling minnows. They were all off the willows a few feet. Water temp 57 degrees. I was around Bridgeview. Water clarity about 6 inches.

I then ran over to Southfork, clear up in the timber by the rock quarry. Caught one more, samething, in 2-4 feet of water jig and minnow about two feet down. This one was about 14". Nice slabs. Water temp at southfork was 56-60 degrees with the clarity being the best in the lake at about 2 feet (that I have seen).

The water temp in the main lake was 48-50. I think if the temps keep up, you are going to be able to catch them shallow by next weekend. I think the majority are still suspended deeper, but I couldn't get them to bite.

One catfish, always fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report. Kind of gives me the fever. If this weather holds things might get going pretty good before long as you mention. I was planning to come over for a couple of weeks starting on 5/19 but this year that may be late.

By chance do you know if Judy Mueller still owns the Bridgeview Bait Shop? I had heard it was for sale last year and wasn't sure if it got sold or not?
    Crappie Kid

Post Thanks / Like

I normally stop at Bridgeview, the same lady was there, not sure if her name is Judy. I never asked. Talked to a local guide, he was knocking the walleyes, gave him the rest of my bait and told him the crappies are biting shallow.

He said the walleyes were hiting about five feet from shore.

Post Thanks / Like

Judy still owns the Bridgeview Bait and tackle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast