Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deep V or Multi Species vs Bass Boat question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deep V or Multi Species vs Bass Boat question.

Got a question for somebody that's fished out of a Bass Hull and has switched to a Deep V or Multi Species Walleye type boat - say a Ranger 680 or 690 Stratos MSX or maybe a Lund type deep V.

What are the disadvantages to the Deep V type when compared to a Bass hull? I'm wondering if the deep V produces more roll in cross waves or less due to the deeper set in the water and if the wind pushes the boat more noticeable or less with the taller sides, but deeper set.

Also, anything else you can think of that I might be interested in.

Thanks.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My .02

Gone from Aluminum bass style to fiberglass bass boat, to deck boat, to deep v and back to bass boat. The bass boat is easier to control in the wind and fishes better in my opinion. Easier to get fish over the edge of the boat and can shoot docks better in bass boat. The wind blew my Deep V around something fierce and it maynot be as bad with a fiberglass deep V. The ride in the deep V was outstanding and could take on some large waves. The thing I miss the most is the winter time ride in the deep V behind that windshied. That was nice and comfy. You could lay down and take a nap in that thing if you wanted. Fish out of one before you decide what suits your style of fishing.
    Secretary of Da Fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post
    Got a question for somebody that's fished out of a Bass Hull and has switched to a Deep V or Multi Species Walleye type boat - say a Ranger 680 or 690 Stratos MSX or maybe a Lund type deep V.

What are the disadvantages to the Deep V type when compared to a Bass hull? I'm wondering if the deep V produces more roll in cross waves or less due to the deeper set in the water and if the wind pushes the boat more noticeable or less with the taller sides, but deeper set.

Thanks.

Wannabe...
    I've got a 19' Lund Tournament series and love it. I've fished out of ranger glass and triton aluminum bass boats--both good boats. I think it depends on the type of fishing you like to do. If you do alot of lure pushing, I think you'd like the bass boats better, primarily because the casting platform on the Lund sits alot higher off the water. If you have to cross alot of big water that gets rough, nothing better than the Lund IMO. Skinny water--the Triton got into some awfully skinny water, but my Lund goes as skinny as I want. The Lund is a heavy boat for an aluminum and I've never had a problem with the wind--but I've got a 101 on the front, and I don't drift fish.

Post Thanks / Like

"Fish out of one before you decide what suits your style of fishing."

That's the best advice you are going to get anywhere.
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

I will before I buy one, but they're hard to come by in these parts.

I have a mod v now and will keep it, but have been thinking about going to a "big boat" for spider rigging and crankbait pulling. What attracts me the most to the Deep Vs is the open rear for pulling cranks. My Dad has very little mobility and I could see putting him in the open back well and pullling cranks until he cries uncle. Also, the better ride and protection from the wind and waves would give us a few more chances on the water. I've also seen some with ample deck room up front that should be plenty big for double seat spider rigging for me and the boys and maybe even my Dad. We've done it out of my 1756 and it's fine as long as it's pretty calm, but any pitching and rolling and he doesn't have the strength to fight it.

I have a Champion 181 DC that's can be made into this, but with a 175EFI it'd eat my lunch trying to troll with it and the DC and low seats makes for very little room to have him sit in the passenger seat and maneuver a fish in. Trying to decide if I want to spend the $ to make this Champ ready - batts, trolling motor, rod holders etc or just bite the bullet and find a good open Multi Species Deep V. Got an eye on a Skeeter 1850 right now.

Keep the comments coming. I appreciate it.

Wannabe...
    Last edited by Wannabe...; 04-05-2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved my 20' Skeeter with it's 200 Yammer and run like crazy. Fast took water great and they have a low profile so yes the wind has less impact on the bass boat. Some people don't like them as they are almost all deck with tons of storage which is nice to keep a lot of stuff in. However some don't like it because when on one of the decks there is not much to falling out of one either. I just got to the point I can't stand on that deck casting all day anyway and didn't need a 200 hp motor to feed. Don't get me wrong I really love that kind of boat, but for me now the Lund is just what I need. Yes the wind when troll motoring down a bank it will feel the wind a bit more and the back end will tilt away from the wind a bit, but not enough to make me go back. I like the high sides for my wife as she feel safer in this boat. I have enough storage, but my bass boat would hold so much more, but how often did I really need that much stuff. Heck I had something like 12 casting rods with reels and about 10 spinning rigs too all in the boxes. Bot take the rough water really good.

However it all comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend. A bass boat like I had now days will cost you a ton of money and I am talking $35,000 Plus and probably closer to $40k and some as much as $60k. My Lund with the 115 4 stroke is fast enough for me and it cost just about $25K rigged like I wanted it. A really top notch bass boar rigged out great is going to cost a bunch of bucks and that is all there is to that. I don't need to run down the lake at 75 MPH and the 46 MPH I get now is enough.

Now I am not sure I could get on top of as big of waves as I could in that Skeeter and run 50 MPH with ease and a pretty darn good ride, but it will get me back and in good shape.

Go to a dealer and take a ride in both or if you know someone that has one go fishing with them and maybe someone else has the other style. However know this not all Deep V's are equal. I think the Lund is one of the very best of that style and their design work is really impressive over some other brands that are well thought of.

With your last post I would say take a very long look at the Lund!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe... View Post

Thanks.

Wannabe...
    Went from a Stratos bass boat to the 690DVS Ranger Fisherman and would not go back. It has all the room you could ever want with floor space (crappie fisherman's need). The gas tank is under the front deck which helps keep the front end from bouncing as much as normal rear end gas tank basss boat. The boat does not sit in the water as much as you think ( i can go on the same water as I did with the Stratos) which means the sides do stick up further and catch more wind. Never really noticed much difference in the side to side roll. I still would not go back to the bass boat.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

I'm seeing a lot more deep V's on Kentucky Lake in the last few years, so somebody likes them. I don't know if they are switching to them from a lower sided aluminum rig for big water handling or choosing them as an alternative to glass boats, but they are increasing in numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Wannabe, you might check out the War Eagle's too. I have a 860 w/a 90 yamaha and love it. It is deep sided for not being a deep v and handles big rough water great. Mine has a high casting deck in front that was custom ordered. The standard drop deck looks like it would work better for spider riggin. The 90 will push it 50 or a tad over on good water but it is rated for the 115. Plenty of storage but still has a good amount of open floor too. Worst thing about it imo is the live well but I dont use it much anyway, they either go in the cooler or back in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Up above he mentioned the gas tank being not in the rear and it's like that in my Lund too and makes it better balanced for sure. Not only that but the TM batteries are in a separate compartment just in front of the gas tank. Super design work and not too much weight as they do the design work to put the double plating where it's needed and not just all over like some. I know when I was looking I was comparing the Lund to a G3 of the same look. The G3 had 300 or something like that more weight and more draft so when I looked at it I think it came from the double plating where it's not needed.

Lots of room and easy to walk around in it. If you were to get one longer than mine it would be a huge boat and I am not kidding about that at all. Mine is big at 17' special crappie edition, but even a 18' is so much bigger.

Still ride in them,
    Skip
    PS, I just spoke with the guy I bought my boat from in Dallas and ask about the 18' which has a 96" beam I think where mine is 90". Now I have a 115 4 Stroke and for that you would probably need a 150 4 Stroke and then you would be looking at around $35k, but that is a big boat and looks a lot bigger than 1' more than mine. Your dad would feel really secure in that boat of one like mine.
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 04-05-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast