Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting started with minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting started with minnows

What is the minimum needed to get started in minnows? By that I mean do you need pumps at home and on the boat this time of year? I really don't plan on using them during any other time but winter as it seems to be the best way to catch cold water crappie from what I gather here. I usually only fish 3 to 4 hrs a trip so was planning on only getting about 2 doz. I have a large styrofoam cooler to put in the boat and a 30 or 40 gal plastic drum I can keep them in at home if necessary. I see all kinds of aerators in the catalog and was wondering which would be better to start off with, I believe I have a convertor of 120 to 12 volts. A little help please from you experts, this jig man is tired of not catching any crappie this very cold winter.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steve:

Minnows are real easy to keep alive in the winter. An inexpensive aquarium air pump and a couple air stones should do well in your plastic drum.

It may be difficult to get small enough minnows this time of year though. If you can get Rosy Red minnows in your area I would recommend them but if not then try to get minnows that are from about 3/4 of an inch to 1 1/4 inch.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Hey Steve:

Minnows are real easy to keep alive in the winter. An inexpensive aquarium air pump and a couple air stones should do well in your plastic drum.

It may be difficult to get small enough minnows this time of year though. If you can get Rosy Red minnows in your area I would recommend them but if not then try to get minnows that are from about 3/4 of an inch to 1 1/4 inch.
    Do you need a pump in the boat for just the short time I will be out or just one at home? If I only need one at home I'm guessing it would be better to get a 120v unit. I do have access to a minnow farm so maybe I can get small ones but don't think they have Rosy Reds.

Post Thanks / Like

We just buy enough for a days fishing. Usually 3-4 dozen if theres 3 of us fishing. We use medium sized minnows that are around 1.5" or so. If we have some leftover, we'll keep them if we know we are fishing the next day or two, if not we leave them for the crappie.

The main thing as far as keeping the minnowa alive is COLD water. If you leave them in the minnow bucket, change the water daily.

Post Thanks / Like

If it stays cold at night where you live, just leave them outside. You dont need anything in the winter. I keep 3 to 6 dozen in a small bucket and they will last for months if I dont use them, which is more often not using them than do. I may only have one or two dead ones every now and then. I change the water with lake water once a week.

Post Thanks / Like

As for working with minnows, I'm one that has learned from the school of hard knocks. I've probably killed a hundred pounds before it finally got into my thick skull how to keep'em alive.

Yes, in the winter (cooler air temps) it is easier to keep them alive. No more than what you say you will take on the boat, the bait bucket will be enough during the winter months and the aquarium aerator Jerry mentioned will work fine at home.

If you want to keep more on hand, as the weather warms it becomes more difficult, but still easily managed. The key is keeping your water temp cold (55-65 degrees) and push air to them. I would then recommend an oxygen infuser pump:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...h-results1.jsp

with a timer:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...h-results1.jsp

both on the boat and at home. If your boat has two livewells, one can be used as a bait tank and the other for fish. But, keep the water cool. It won't matter how much air you push to them if the water warms too much. In the summer time I use one quart jugs of water. I freeze them and lay two in each morning to cool the water.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Just learn to fish a jig , that will save you money too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captgene
    Just learn to fish a jig , that will save you money too.
    I think I know how to jig fish, not sure, but this winter I am having a hard time with jigs and all the guys that seem to be catching are using minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh just tip jig with a slice of minnow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captgene
    Ahhh just tip jig with a slice of minnow
    I absolutely love to get the thump of a crappie on a jig, especially now that I've started making my own. But, as we all know, they don't get fat on plastic (so to speak). Sometimes, you just can't beat using the real thing.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast