Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: hook size

Post Thanks / Like

Default hook size

what is the best hook size for dock shooting i was looking at the 1/64 with #4 hooks. are should i go with the #2 hooks. i may even be better with the 1/32 weight:rolleyes:

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Smoke eater ...

Quote Originally Posted by fireman1501 View Post
    what is the best hook size for dock shooting i was looking at the 1/64 with #4 hooks. are should i go with the #2 hooks. i may even be better with the 1/32 weight:rolleyes:
    ... I dock shoot some, myself :p ... and this is what I use :

1/32oz weedless ballhead jighead w/#2 hook & #4 hook
    1/16oz weedless ballhead jihgead w/#2 hook & #4 hook

Here's a pic of the two styles I use : (shown is 1/16oz w/#2 hooks)

They're custom made by C.c member Grousefly (Paul Mullins - P&S Custom Tackle) ... you can check out some of his work on the Crappie Business Directory (under "Jigs")

I never had any problems with a #4 hook on my jigheads ... as far as missing hits, losing fish, or having the hook straightened by large Crappie (or any other species). I just went to ordering them with a #2 hook, just to be on the safe side :p ... and to be able to use a thicker plastic body, and still have a good gap between hook point & body of the bait

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default weedless jigs

If you are going weedless i would stick with #2, the #4 seem to have to small of a gap for the fit/stiffness of the weedguard for my taste. If your not going weedless its just preference, i dont feel a #2 will outperform a #4 or a #6 if you dont have a weedguard blocking the hook point. And the gap doesnt seem to cause much in the way of problems until you get down to about a #10.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"