Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The Rock wins again

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down The Rock wins again

Got a late start. Put in at Cape Fair Marina and Fished from about 11:00 to 5:30. Gorgeous day and wind wasn't too bad. Sure were a lot of boats on the water and parking lots were full to overflowing.

Water temp was 58 to 60º, so figured they might have moved shallow, or even started to spawn, but no luck down to 10 feet, so moved to the channels. Saw a few scattered fish and suspect they were mostly Bass as I picked up 3 nice ones in the 2 to 3 pound range. I must admit they are fun on a 10 foot Crappie rod:D

Finally located some brush piles and started jiggin'. Got a few light taps after I added a minnow, but alas, no Crappie for me today:o
    Ham Radio, the original wireless communications

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Post Thanks / Like

Lets see, how many is that for the Rock. Yea, nothing like a big bass pulling on that crappie pole, makes those bass guys jealous. Hang in there.

Post Thanks / Like

well Arlen don't know what is going on seems you are doing better than most on the rock, (bad joke) try on further down towards piney, got to be some down there. or I would think so oh well at least your learning where not to go. better times comming

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the encouragement LSL and Beagle! I didn't see but a couple of boats fishing for Crappie and looked like they weren't catching anything either.

I didn't quite go to Piney, but did go past Wooly Creek to a little cove I nicknamed Deer Cove as there is on old farmhouse and field there and the Deer are thick as fleas! The Cove has a lot of Cedar stickups and a couple of small brushpiles someone put there, so should be a prime spot, especially a bit later.

I probably won't go again until late in the week, but I'm not ready to give up on the Rock just yet! I just need a few more trips with some of you pros and I'll get the hang of it:D:D:D

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Post Thanks / Like

I would look for buckbrush near a channel, and try dippin it. There are some starting to move up, but still a little scattered. Also any laydown near the channel.

Post Thanks / Like

I need you to keep after them because i am headed down to the rock on april 20 and need some good reports to help me out.

Post Thanks / Like

I was out on the rock yesterday for a joy ride on a duck. Water sure looked good and there were a lot of boats out. Hope you get into some nice fish soon as I would like to see a good report.

Post Thanks / Like

I sure appreciate all the help and encouragement from everyone and I'm sure I'll get to post a positive report one of these days! Keep in mind I just moved back to Missouri and never fished for Crappie before this Spring, so am learning by trial and error. Mostly error so far!:D
    I'm slowly getting the right equipment together so at least I'll LOOK like a Crappie fisherman:D:D:D

Post Thanks / Like

The rock is a tough place to learn crappie fishing. I haven't figured it out in the 6 years I have been fishing it either. Just hang in there they will bite soon. Have you seen any shad balls in the ares you been yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Only saw one extremely large ball a couple of days ago and that was down near Wooly Creek. Everything else has been very small and scattered. Some have a few fish on them but who knows what they are, although I would suspect White Bass.
    The guy at the bait shop said they were still on the channel swings, but I would have thought with 58 to 60º water they would be shallower or even starting the spawn. Water in the Cape Fair area is still very stained. I can only see the jig from 8 to 12 inches, so you practically have to hit them in the head before they can see it
    Looks like we dodged the bullet on the storms they were expecting so I might slip down toward Piney creek in the morning and see if I can change my luck:D

Quote Originally Posted by barn dog View Post
    The rock is a tough place to learn crappie fishing. I haven't figured it out in the 6 years I have been fishing it either. Just hang in there they will bite soon. Have you seen any shad balls in the ares you been yet.