Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is it....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why is it....

When I fish sometimes I can troll over crappie and catch them on each pass but when I stop to cast to them they will not bite. I had this happen yesterday and I have this happen to me alot in the summer.
    Is it the comotion of the trolling motor or paddle that causes them to bite?

Post Thanks / Like

Is your cast being retrieved at the same depth and speed as the troll? My best guess would be that one or both of those are different when casting than when trolling. Depth control and presentation is key.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Gs ... Imho

I doubt the "commotion" has much to do with it. It's probably more related to "presentation" (speed & depth). Are you using the same set-up to cast with, that you're trolling with ?? same bait ?? retrieving bait at same speed, as when you're trolling it ??
    Sometimes trolling produces "reaction" strikes ... where the fish attack the bait before it can "get away". They may or may not be feeding ... it's just that the sight of a "fleeing" bait can trigger a response, that a slower (cast) retrieve may not duplicate.
    If you're catching them on each pass - trolling - then don't stop trolling. If they are out in open water, and suspended, they might be following or stalking a school of baitfish. A bait that is cast to them, may not look "natural" ... or they may get a better look at it (depending on the speed of the bait's movement). One would think that a fish would always take the "easy" meal ... but, sometimes they don't. .........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris
    Is your cast being retrieved at the same depth and speed as the troll? My best guess would be that one or both of those are different when casting than when trolling. Depth control and presentation is key.
    Yes I would use the same bait and try my best to retrieve it at the same speed.
    Most of my fish yesterday came off the bait that was only 7' off the back off the boat and about 2-3 feet down. Seems like with them that shallow that they would spook when the boat went over them.

Post Thanks / Like

I troll a lot, and have had this happen to me several times. My thought is that when you stop and cast you are fishing too slow and beneath the crappie.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if I put a float on so that the bait suspends shallow and retrieve back to the boat that way?

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default trollin

I KNOW HERE IN FL. [SHALLOW WATER] WE CATCH ALMOST ALL THE FISH SPIDER RIGGIN AND THE ARE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO CATCH CASTING---YOU CAN PUT OUT A MARKER AND KEEP TROLLIN AROUND IT AND CATCH A FEW
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

"G",
    This has happenned to us with several kinds of fish, that we can remember.
    With albacore it seems that speed (REAL fast) is necessary. It is thought that the "bubble trail" is a big factor too.
    It has happenned with stripers. I think speed, again, was the factor.
    Salmon require trolling sometimes (often) locally. Usually the lines are too long to concider prop-wash. And we have seen these fish want a bait moving TOWARD a baitball and NOT away. Picky, yes?
    Once bluegills absolutely required trolling. And not a long distance! We have seen videos of fish following for some distances before committing, but sorta ruled that out here. Speed and depth could be replicated with hand retrieves, but without success. Bubble-trail in the prop-wash......was THAT the factor?
    Ain't fishing grand? Mind exercise of interest.....not like math and stuff.
    .......lee s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lee s.
    "G",
    This has happenned to us with several kinds of fish, that we can remember.
    With albacore it seems that speed (REAL fast) is necessary. It is thought that the "bubble trail" is a big factor too.
    It has happenned with stripers. I think speed, again, was the factor.
    Salmon require trolling sometimes (often) locally. Usually the lines are too long to concider prop-wash. And we have seen these fish want a bait moving TOWARD a baitball and NOT away. Picky, yes?
    Once bluegills absolutely required trolling. And not a long distance! We have seen videos of fish following for some distances before committing, but sorta ruled that out here. Speed and depth could be replicated with hand retrieves, but without success. Bubble-trail in the prop-wash......was THAT the factor?
    Ain't fishing grand? Mind exercise of interest.....not like math and stuff.
    .......lee s.

Yeah I agree. I fish offshore and know what a good prop wash will do for ya.
    I have had bream like you say do the same thing in the summer. I think it has something to do with the wash of the boat that excites them into biting. Just like tuna or dolphin fishing..when one hits more will follow. Puts them into a feeding frenzy.

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing happens to me - don't know why. But the more it happens,
    the less I try to stop and cast I don't always fish this way, but -
    in the clear water I'm usually in, trolling, I feel sure that as a fish is eyeballing
    one of my baits, thinking about attacking, he/she can see one or more of
    the other baits being pulled a few feet away at the same time. Maybe this
    puts 'em into thinking "Oh boy, a school of baitfish!" ???
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast