Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wind?

Just curious, when do you all start getting concerned with the wind? In other words, when does wind speed start to affect your decision to be on the water, and/or where on the water you go? Does 15 MPH wind make you stay home? 20? 10? etc. Or, do you stay off the main lake at certain wind conditions? etc.

Trying to schedule trips to the lake(s), and am trying to look at wind predictions to see if it is worth the drive.
    We do not want the gift of a fish; neither do we expect a lesson on fishing; what we direly need is a chance to fish

Post Thanks / Like

That probably depends on what kinda boat you have. I have aluminum bass boat, and if its blowing much over 20mph i'm probably staying off the water.

Post Thanks / Like

The National Weather Service is an excellent source for wind/weather outlook.
    NWS Springfield, MO Homepage
    I pasted a link to the Springfield area, but you can type in your zip code or city for local details.
    On the tabs just above the map, choose Forecast Graphics, the third from the Left. Then when the page opens mouse over the wind speed and direction or wind gust on the menu on the left. It also shows cloud cover, temp, precip and other goodies. It's a fun site to play with:D
    Ham Radio, the original wireless communications

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Post Thanks / Like

I got worried today as I was coming across Hillsdale went a 70 MPH severe thunderstorm front came through. Longest 5 minutes I have had in a while. No warning 3 minutes from the time we saw the clouds out west to wind and rain.

We got lucky today we had planned ahead but that was close.
    It's not duck season so I have to do something... :D

You are welcome to join us on in outdoor adventures in Kansas. Come along for the ride at www.kansasoutdoorsman.com ~ This is our outdoor adventures of Kansas Hunting and Fishing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Springhill Duckman View Post
    I got worried today as I was coming across Hillsdale went a 70 MPH severe thunderstorm front came through. Longest 5 minutes I have had in a while. No warning 3 minutes from the time we saw the clouds out west to wind and rain.

Glad to hear that you made it through that, That storm blew over some semis
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Springhill Duckman View Post

Had similar experience on stockton. In less than 5 minutes from seeing the clouds we could not see the front of boat. was the worst 15 min. of my fishing life. Was up by dam, pulled trolling motor and started slow down lake when in less than 1 min we were facing dam again. Just went slow till we found a soft beach and ran her up. Pray I or anyone else does not have to go through that again.
    if they call for a steady 20mph wind I stay off stockton.
    Outlaw Walleye and Crappie Poles (anglersmidwest.com guides and gear)
    MossBackRack.com
    Jenkins Nissan(813-420-0983)

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of depends on the wind direction as well as speed- also the type of fishing. Today I hung out in one creek at Twain because it is usually a good early season crappie area as well as the main lake being too rough to go anywhere else comfortably. It kept me semi-protected with the wind since it was coming from the south. If I was bass fishing, I would not have been satisfied fishing one creek all day. Todays wind at Twain was just enough to keep me from going across the main lake-at least without getting soaked in the process.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say 30 mph wind would be my limit, I would not venture very far from the ramp at 20 mph.
    About six years ago my son and I got caught in a storm at Windsor Crossing, we were trying to get back to the ramp and got caught in some winds that came out of nowhere, they were 50 mph+ right out of the west, had waves coming over the bow of my 17ft Tracker, every time I would turn to the side trying to get to the bank the boat would take on more water. We both had our life jackets on, had one hand on the steering wheel and the other on my ten year old son's life jacket, we made it to the ramp but the boat took a heck of a pounding, broke off three of the four bolts holding the trolling motor on the bow, and busted several rivets on the bottom of the hull.
    It was the most scary event that ever happened to me on the water, I thought we were going to sink, we go near the bank now when we see a storm coming.
    Last edited by Bigby; 04-02-2010 at 10:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing, that I learned the hard way was the need for a gps device on board. I was on stockton for the first time with my son who was 13 at the time. Clear day, no problems. traveled a couple miles from the state park. Went to head back and there were 3-5 foot rollers. We were in a 15ft boat with a 10hp motor, and God is probably the only thing that helped us. At some point I thought I was going the right way, but it was very easy to second guess myself. I couldn't see the bank well enough to know where we were and at one point I couldn't have told you which way was up. Thought we were going to sink. If I had a gps with me, it would have helped a bunch. Bought one the next week.

Things you take for granted, can actually help a whole lot.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

20 is about my limit on Truman unless fishing a tournament. Have been in some 30 plus mph winds back in my bass days. Not much fun. A lot of it would depend on the lake you fish and how the wind effects it. Better safe than sorry for me. There will always be another day to get out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast