Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie @ Choke Canyon, Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie @ Choke Canyon, Texas

I am new at crappie fishing but desperatley would like to learn how to catch some. I have tried repeatedly at Choke Canyon(CC) w/o success. Please don't write back that a moron can catch them there cause that would really hurt.:rolleyes: But I just tried minnows and jigs at bridge and some brush piles I made. Must be doing it wrong. I do not see many posts on CC on crappie .com.----Looking for help.------redfish1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I am new at crappie fishing but desperatley would like to learn how to catch some. I have tried repeatedly at Choke Canyon(CC) w/o success. Please don't write back that a moron can catch them there cause that would really hurt.:rolleyes: But I just tried minnows and jigs at bridge and some brush piles I made. Must be doing it wrong. I do not see many posts on CC on crappie .com.----Looking for help.------redfish1
    First off right now they should be shallow so not on brush piles deep now, that is more summer pattern.

Try pulling some 1/32 OZ. Roadrunners in water you see lots of fish on your sonar in say 6' to 11' deep water right now. Just cast it out as far as you can and take off using you troll motor set on 3 if it's a varialbe speed one.

Also check out Capps & Coleman Spider rigging with jigs and minnows in that same water now. Here is some of that info...

Here are some links to Capps & Coleman style and the first one has a video.

Crappie Guide

Crappie World Magazine | How To Catch The Biggest Slabs

Master a technique!..Ronnie Capps & Steve Coleman

You can also cast to the bank and reel slow out and keep doing that if you find them right up on the bank and they will get there at times really shallow.

Don't know if I have more info on trolling on my web site or not since it's been a while since I looked at that part, but check out the How To page.

Hope this helps and if not you can PM me for more info if needed.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Good post Skip! carry on.
    Something Wise!

Post Thanks / Like

Not a whole bunch of texas boys here. You might give the Texas Fishing Forums a look see too. Choke is a heck of a fishery and I'll bet somebody over there and steer you in the right direction.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Choke has some big Crappie. I mainly fish lake Corpus christi since it si close to home. I have caught crappie at the Callhan boat ramp and mason point. Don't beat your self up this year has been tough with all the cold weather. Every time the crappie start showing up shallow a norther comes in and they move out again. It has been hit and miss on the crappie bite. Right now we should be just pass the peak of the spawn but this year it is like it has never started. I bank fish(no boat)and have had very little luck this year. I go almost ever day and hit all the coves without much luck. go to Callhan and talk to some of the crappie fishermen . They will tell you where to find them. I know that around Mason point is a good place to start. There is a boat ramp there. Check out the river above the 99 bridge.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

First, Welcome from Middle Tennessee. Second, what has been said about screwy timing this year is right on. Vary depth of presentation til they are found, Then throw a jig n bobber combo, switching color til you find their preference. White, yellow, chartreuse, and these mixed with black or blue are a good start. Skip knows his stuff and will help a lot. Good luck, keep us posted, and have fun.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around