Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand Spankin' newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brand Spankin' newbie

Hello all, great forum! I'm new to crappie fishing, but have been fishing since I could walk. Got hooked on them this winter through the ice, now I want to carry on this year in my boat. I'm headed to a nearby lake that has been ice free for two weeks. Lake has large deep cold water at north end and bottom half shallows up to 8 feet and under(south end). Cold water temps here in Vermont still(36-48 degrees). Any ideas what to start with? No wind today, and sun will peek out this afternoon, temps in 60's. Thanks in advance.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Mississippi.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Slow presentations with small offerings. If you use plastics carry several colors, from light to dark. Also carry a different style of plastic, like some curl tails and some assassins or bobby garlands. Don't forget a bobber. They will tell you what they want. Wavin a big Hello from Middle Tennessee.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

VT,

Welcome
    Z21
    How's it going : One foot in the grave, one foot on a banana peel, twenty people pushing !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Skeetbum, I'll try what ya said. If I hook a slab I'll let you know!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VTtwinner View Post
    Hello all, great forum! I'm new to crappie fishing, but have been fishing since I could walk. Got hooked on them this winter through the ice, now I want to carry on this year in my boat. I'm headed to a nearby lake that has been ice free for two weeks. Lake has large deep cold water at north end and bottom half shallows up to 8 feet and under(south end). Cold water temps here in Vermont still(36-48 degrees). Any ideas what to start with? No wind today, and sun will peek out this afternoon, temps in 60's. Thanks in advance.
    Well I'm not a veteran. this lake is sounding pretty close to the lake I fish in at NY(lake chautaqua) Its a large one with a very deep North end (almost 50-60' in spots) and a shallow and weedy south end -with a big bay that is less than 6' for a good long ways.

in this lake, the crappies seem to hang out (generally) in the middle. the seasonal pattern is for callico to leave winter areas near 20' and move into nearby shallow canals chasing minnows and getting warm.

One of the BIG secrets to this game is to fish at night. the fish sometimes come in (en masse) to these canals at obnoxious late hours. They will get shallow and shallower as we approach spawn (which commonly happens in late may). this will push them south for a few weeks (may-june)

One of my big revelations this year is that early crappies take VERY small jigs. 1/64 oz that are maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch long. They WAY outfish the bigger 1/16 jigs usually pushed on fishermen.

These Prespawn feeding binges are pretty fun. Lake chautaqua has quite a few more docks and shorelines structures than normal (it is ringed with them)-- so if your lake is a little more Natual... you might want to hang out near wood or weeds.

Oh and , I fish towards the top. 12" to maybe 30". even in waters almost 5-6' deep.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard from another Vermonter!!!!!!!! Never fished early as I don't a boat but follow what Jolie said, Lake Chautaqua (Grew up in Medina and yeah it's a nice lake) is pretty close to what Champlain is.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome V.T. from the Big-E in Oklahoma. You will love this site lots of great folks and good tips!
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

Well....yesterday afternoon I launched at Lake Dunmore and put the trolling motor down to head out, really shallow to start. When I get out to where the water is deep enough, Iput the big motor down and reach to start it, no key...left the key at home. SIGH. I had to laugh at that point. The south end of the lake is 1/2 to 3/4 mile from the access, and I didn't want to tempt fate with just the trolling motor, so I turned around, put the boat on the trailer. I'm headed to Hortonia or Champlain today. Hortonia holds 2 or 3 of the top 10 spots in the record books for VT crappie. Thanks again everyone for tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Illinois.
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff
    Tracker Marine Pro Staff
    www.nathankincade.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast