Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Building a Pirogue

Post Thanks / Like

Default Building a Pirogue

Ordered myself a kit from UncleJohns.com to build a wooden piroge should be in today. Should be perfect for the small, shallow lakes I like to fish around here. Most are so low right now I can't even launch my 16' flat bottom. Wondering if anyone has built one of these or anouther type of wooden boat, and would share your experience. And what type of mods could be made to make it more convienent for fishing out of.I'm really looking forward to this project, when done I'll try to post some pics. Should be just the ticket to sneek up on those shallow spawning slabs this spring.

3GD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Piroge

Built one of those and repaired many more. They are perfect for fishing shallow waters without much wake. You have to be careful when fishing areas with boat traffic and when getting in and out of it. One more thing that it is wise to do. When moving tie your rod and reels and tackle box to the boat with a small rope. Otherwise you will loose them one day. As sure as the sun shines you will tip over at least once.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Deacon thanks for the info, have you used a trolling motor on yours or would you suggest to stick with the paddle? And also what type of seats have you senn used that would be best?

3GD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3GIRLSDAD
    Hey Deacon thanks for the info, have you used a trolling motor on yours or would you suggest to stick with the paddle? And also what type of seats have you senn used that wold be best? 3GD
    Hello, 3GD....I've made a number of pirogues over the years, and the best advice I can give you on seats, is to have one that's very comfortable....and not too high from the bottom, you don't want to have your center of gravity too high! Like deacon said, you'll eventually go swimming out of it, whether you really want to or not. After about one or two dunks, you'll figure out how to stay on top of it......:D Best of luck to ya, let us know how it works out!

It's your choice, TM or paddle, I use both........I TM on the way out, paddle while fishing, and TM back to the launch. If I know I'm going to fish shallow, I just take the TM off.