Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: When do the fish usually begin the spawn? Are they in pre-spawn now?

Post Thanks / Like

Question When do the fish usually begin the spawn? Are they in pre-spawn now?

Four questions have come to my mind in regards to the spawning of fish,...1. When do the fish usually begin spawning? 2. If they have not yet spawned,are they in their pre-spawn period at this time? Where will I find them when they are starting to spawn? Will they be in shallow water or deeper water?
    Last edited by Lundman A-14; 03-31-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Restate question

Post Thanks / Like

They first go into pre-spawn when the water hits between 50-55 degrees.

As an example, I live in northeast Ohio. I have been checking water temps every day. We have been around 48 degrees for a week. But we just had two warm days and the water hit 55 degrees in the shallows. So I went out in the middle of the day in my boat into the shallowest water (One and a half feet).

I hit the mother load. All pigs (around 80 in less then 6 hours). Tomorrow will be better.

Here is a pic of what most looked like today,

D
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

What BidD says. Temp has a lot to do with it.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the Archives section. Check Crappie by degress, it will give you all the info you need. Even Cane Poles' little thingy is pretty slick.

Post Thanks / Like

Right on. 55 - 58 usually has those males coming in getting ready to make the beds. spawning is usually at 62 - 68 degrees. Water from 6 inches as deep as 10 feet. Usually fairly hard bottom and in or near brush, hardstem, reeds, old weeds , etc, but not always. I have a few areas where they come in very shallow as soon as the water hits the mid 40s to feed on minnows. If the temps stay on a steady rise they will often stick around as these areas are also spawning bays. 50 - 55 degrees or so will often have the specks staged around the first deep water near spawning areas.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Here were in post-iceout, which is pre prespawn.
    Good things come to those who bait.