Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Cat fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blue Cat fishing

Any of you guys like to bluecat fish? We went over spring break and put out 16 jugs. Didn't do good at all for several days. We changed places two days before the snow storm. No lie, I have never seen anything like it in my life. We had three hooks on a jug, and all 16 had at least one blue over 15 lb. The new reg is one per person with 2 in possession over 30". We turned back the biggest ones. We turned back 1-38 lb, 1-32 lb, 4-26 lb, and 8-20 lb fish for a grand total of 334# turned back and we ran them once a day for two days(had 10 jugs the second day) and pulled them. We could only run the jugs in groups of five because the livewell on the boat would be full. I was tired of cleaning fish. I'll try to get a pic or two from my friends wife. We cleaned fish one night from 7:30 til 12:30. The friends and relatives showed up AFTER the cleaning was done.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report! Sounds like ya'll had a great time.

I love fishing for cats. I'm way better at it than Crappie, but then again, I've been doing it a lot longer! I prefer jug lines and rod and reel fishing myself, but I've been known to set a few trotlines in my day

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report. Glad to here the big blues are biting. I enjoy drift fishing for catfish with rod and reel, but have been known to jug fish also.

Post Thanks / Like

Where were you fishing? Great story! Thanks.
    Hey, tell me a story!

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the good report on catfish. I like to catfish when not crappie fishing. Would like to see some pictures!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Serious Blue Cats

Aserioushunter - There can be only one place that you could have been fishing to do that well. I look forward to see if I am not right. I fished with 5 other friends in early March 3 years ago and we filleted over 700 pounds of cats in 1 day by 2:30 PM on jugs.

Post Thanks / Like

If you guessed Kaw you are right. We are going to go back to the fall bite to let more of them spawn. We let the biggest ones that weren't injured go. I heard the weekend before they were writing $400 tickets for too many over the 30" length. We have fished up there quite alot and never caught them like this. We have yet to catch a flathead though, and only caught 1 channel.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a very impressive catch of big cats. I personally think that Arkansas river lakes seem to produce very good catfishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Aserioushunter - Coon?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cricket george View Post
    Aserioushunter - Coon?
    You caught me off guard. At first glance I thought you must have talked to a close friend of mine due to an inside joke involving a coon. Note: If you go to Kaw lock up or put LOTS of weight on all things with food or bait the coons are ingenious up there. We knew this so we took our minnow bucket with the areator and covered the bucket with the cover to the propane tank and lodged it under the trailer slide. Middle of the night my buddy heard a noise and looked out to a coon doing a clean and jerk on the cover and run him off. He apparently came back and crawled under the cover and fished them out that way. That wasn't the worst. I had a 96 qt ice chest with 2 locking handles with deer, pork butt, and a ham for the smoker. They opened the handles and carried out the deer and the pork butt and closed back the lid so they could come back for the ham. No smoker meat that trip and I got a score to settle. We always have something happen when we are camping to laugh about later, or blackmail.:D

Back on subject, yes we were out of Coon Creek but it is silted in and sometimes you can't get out of there.
    Last edited by aserioushunter; 04-02-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: add

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast