Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: solution to stunted fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default solution to stunted fish

i cant imagine any place that is under fished these days but i guess its possible..but for those bodies of water, i suggest a crappie tournament of a different sort. instead of size, we base the winnings on the number of fish brought in..would have to get permission from the wildlife guys to do so..it could be a national sponsored tournament..where you can use as many poles as you need to, have more than 2 people in the boat if you wanted...if there are any such places please post it so people can go there to catch as many as they wanted,to help the fishery..would be glad to do my part in reverse, since i am for catch and release..(mainly during peak spawning times)

Post Thanks / Like

Statements like this with out any facts are just myths , old wive tales , and opinions. Why not put some fact behind you statements. There are plenty of places on the internet to find these facts and post them. Crappie population is cyclic , you have a couple of good years then you have a couple of down years. Some small lakes may have too much fishing pressure but they usually make a come back in a couple of years but they would have to be a very small lake for that to be the case. Most small ponds, lake ect become over populate and size is reduced , food source is depleted and if over populated with predator fish will be the largest factor in population reduction, not fishermen unless most fishermen are a lot better at catching their limits than I am. What we need is an honest poll for fishermen willing to tell the truth about how may times a year they actually catch their limits. Bet if the truth be know not very many catch a limit of fish very often in a years time. Just my unbiased opinion since I have look at a lot of reports on this on the internet.
    Be as smart as you can, but it is always better to be wise than to be smart.

Post Thanks / Like

true reporting of harvest is important to all wildlife populations. this "DATA" is used to set seasons, limits, and harvest quotas. If incorrect data is given or if the numbers are skewed due to untruthful claims, the seasons and limits will not be the most benefitial to the population.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J_ROW View Post
    Statements like this with out any facts are just myths , old wive tales , and opinions. Why not put some fact behind you statements. There are plenty of places on the internet to find these facts and post them.
    Lake Cuyamacha near Julian CA. You are required to keep all the bullheads (avg 8") and crappie (avg 5".)
    julian ca - Google Maps

To each his own. For myself, I believe in selective harvest, keep enough smaller ones to eat and release the rest. If I am ever going to catch a 4lb crappie, I gotta let some of the 1.5lb crappie grow.
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

fishermen never lie lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobfish11 View Post
    i cant imagine any place that is under fished these days but i guess its possible..but for those bodies of water, i suggest a crappie tournament of a different sort. instead of size, we base the winnings on the number of fish brought in..would have to get permission from the wildlife guys to do so..it could be a national sponsored tournament..where you can use as many poles as you need to, have more than 2 people in the boat if you wanted...if there are any such places please post it so people can go there to catch as many as they wanted,to help the fishery..would be glad to do my part in reverse, since i am for catch and release..(mainly during peak spawning times)
    Glen Springs is a state (mis)managed lake here with stunted fish and it gets plenty fishing pressure. They have gone so far as to lower the length limit from 10" to 8" but it got a reputation as a bad lake for crappie because of the stunted fish so most people that fish the lake are bass or cat fishing. It's in Tipton County Tennessee.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slickwater1 View Post
    true reporting of harvest is important to all wildlife populations. this "DATA" is used to set seasons, limits, and harvest quotas. If incorrect data is given or if the numbers are skewed due to untruthful claims, the seasons and limits will not be the most benefitial to the population.
    I dunno I see a lot of surveys and data collected by our state but if there are any changes in seasons or limits they are far and few between. It's far more obvious in hunting than fishing.

Lets take deer for instance. In parts of Southern In the deer herd was really set back by blue tongue. Were there any changes in the last 3 years on doe pernits....no.

Rabbit harvest has been on a decline for decades what does our dnr do? Extend the rabbit season into the breeding season.

I could go on and on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
    I dunno I see a lot of surveys and data collected by our state but if there are any changes in seasons or limits they are far and few between. It's far more obvious in hunting than fishing.

Lets take deer for instance. In parts of Southern In the deer herd was really set back by blue tongue. Were there any changes in the last 3 years on doe pernits....no.

Rabbit harvest has been on a decline for decades what does our dnr do? Extend the rabbit season into the breeding season.

I could go on and on.
    Like being able to shoot 7 quail in a day, and 1 turkey for the season. I see hundreds of turkeys and MAYBE, once a year, run into a small covey. Our state lacks good ol' dirty farming practices, and a season on hawks. I wish they would at least impose the death penalty on these predators if they are caught and convicted. :p