Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Spinning Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Question New Spinning Rod

I broke my spinning rod and I'm think'n about buying a new 1 for casting jigs. I was leaning toward an All Star Platinum Series. It is light action and rated for 2# to 8# line and 1/32 to 3/8 oz lures. Cork handle & 6' 4" long.

On the website they say the rod is made in America but I just talked to a local sporting goods store and the guy told me that Berkley bought them out and the rods are now made in china.

I had an All Star several years ago and it was the bes spinning rod I've ever used. I'm just not sure I wanta send my money to china and am sure the quality of the rods will change.

What do yall think about the rod.

Here's a link to the 1 I'm considering.

All Star Platinum Series Spinning Rods
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskers View Post
    On the website they say the rod is made in America but I just talked to a local sporting goods store and the guy told me that Berkley bought them out and the rods are now made in china.
    There are very few rods under $100 that are made in America. I thought All Star was one of them, but maybe not. Aren't Falcon rods made in the USA?

Post Thanks / Like

Falcon rods where made in the USA unless something has changed there recently, and I dont think they have anything under $100 but they are nice rods

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Got me

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    There are very few rods under $100 that are made in America. I thought All Star was one of them, but maybe not. Aren't Falcon rods made in the USA?
    Got me man.

Mainly I just want to make sure that I'm not gonna sacrifice on quality, I know they were good rods 10 years ago. I had 1 and it was so sensitive you could feel a butterfly land on the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Wiskers,

I have two UL Rogue Rods, a 6 (SP 602S) and 7 (SP 702S) footer. They are absolutley the best crappie rods I have ever used. I use the shorter rod for fishing in and around docks, and the 7 footer anytime else. Ultra-sensitive, great backbone, cork handle, good eyes, etc. Just an all around well built rod. They do make a 6'6" as well. Check out the link...
    Light Spinning : Rogue Rods Feel the Bite!, Fish On

Post Thanks / Like

He's right. Rogues rock, but if you want something American made, excellent quality, that is a little less expensive, try the premier or avid series St Croix's. In particular the avid's. They are superb. I guess the avid isn't cheaper but they are great.

Though after looking at this rod, now I want one. The specs are perfect for crappie. http://store.roguerods.com/index.php...9mumvarjhouts4 Not too light, not too heavy and 2 piece, which is getting harder and harder to find in the higher end rods. It is $188 though, pricey, and I don't like flared cork handles.

One of the problems with all star is that they design their rods for bass fishing, and I think once you have one in hand you'll find it far too stiff and heavy for crappie.

Sooner or later someone here is going to suggest G.Loomis, but I find their designs and materials dated. They have been selling basically the same rods for 10 yrs except for a few technique specific rods.

Someone needs to make a thoroughly modern, split grip, no fore grip, 2 piece, high modulus, light/fast action crappie rod for about $100 bucks. Made in USA. Dream on, right?
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 04-01-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ View Post
    He's right. Rogues rock, but if you want something American made, excellent quality, that is a little less expensive, try the premier or avid series St Croix's. In particular the avid's. They are superb. I guess the avid isn't cheaper but they are great.
    Agree on St. Croix.

Regarding Rogue, the company was started by ex-Loomis guys. To me, they look identical to Loomis. Rogue even codes their rods in a similar fashion.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Thanks

Thanks for all the input guys. Still Look'n at these rods yall have suggested.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for St Croix. I fish a 7' ML Premier and a 7'6" Legend Tournament Walleye rod. Can't beat 'em....

Post Thanks / Like

St. Croix's are graet rods , I build several of their U.L. blanks yearly. The Avid is definatly worth the $'s. Rouge is a darn good brand as well. Loomis blanks are no longer available, BUT, Gary Loomis has introduced the new Northfork composites line of blanks this year...VERY pricey. If you want a good rod at a mid-priced range check out these blanks....Batson Enterprises - Home and click on blanks, you will be amazed!
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast